2006-03-05

More updates

I am happy to say that the paper for this conference in August is now submitted and in the can; it is off of my plate until comments come back in early April. That means I have a bit of breathing space: my end of term (final and term paper) are not due until mid-April. Not that I'm planning on relaxing that much: although it feels like I'm caught up on laundry and cleaning, I'm sure I'll get busy soon.

I spent this afternoon on a walk around the area; weather was positively balmy (read: above freezing and sunny), so I took advantage of it. I took a bunch of pictures of a warehouse that they're turning lofts near my place.



They're doing a pretty thorough gut job of the place: two of the sides are just the street-side-facade wall, with nothing behind it. But it's pretty cool that they're reusing industrial buildings; they are currently developing a lot of Uptown (the city center), which is promising for this city. However, the building is right next to a brewery, and there was a strong malty cooked-porridge smell today--I don't mind it, but I can imagine it being annoying after a while.

On a different topic, during a previous walk in sub-freezing temperatures, I came across four Canada geese who were honking loudly at each other, standing around the frozen edge of a pond. I could just imagine the goose-to-English translation: ...so I said, let's wait until it gets a bit warmer to migrate, but nooo, he's like, 'Let's get up there early, so we can beat the crowds.' So who's gonna get started pecking through the ice today?..."

Another fun random item: I went to my favorite local bakery for my afternoon get-out-of-the-house coffee and snack break. I was there about closing time, and the baker gave me a free loaf of sourdough bread that they hadn't sold off (it was smaller than normal). Cool!

After taking a slice out of it, though, I had to play with my food:



Well, anyway, back to grading.

8 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a geek! :-) Love the pac-man bread...

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lofts sample-condo walk-through is amusing, in case you're amused by corian granite and overly expensive bathroom layouts.

Needless to say, d. and I aren't moving there, although the location can't be beat.

They just added another three floors; it'll be a pretty swank-looking 15-story building.

I do wonder about the brewery smells. Scuttlebutt is that they are moving in a year or two, so it might be gone before the lofts open.

Hey... I wonder how much we missed each other by at the Cafe. I picked up the last pizza of the evening just as they were closing @ 6.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Hey... I wonder how much we missed each other by at the Cafe. I picked up the last pizza of the evening just as they were closing @ 6.

I was there on Saturday, not today; I guess that wasn't clear in my entry. I was originally bummed when I showed up--no bread left. Turns out they had the 'runt' loaf behind the counter.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure there was a little bit of "how can we best attack the humans and ensure maximum sidewalk poop coverage" in there as well. Geese. hate.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very many goncratulations on getting the paper out! What a relief, huh?

Industrial reuse is really cool. There are gobs of awesome abandoned brick 1900-1930 industrial buildings in Dayton that cry out for it, but only a few are getting it, Dayton being both economically and culturally sluggish. At least they're going to do it with the old power plant; that's going to rock.

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's not nearly enough infill going on in our town, but what there is is heartening. It's a double city, and the southern one (where D. and I live) has much more need of it. We'll see where it is in ten years...

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If i can't live in a renovated barn, i think a renovated factory loft would be the next best thing.
ttfn,
antee jean

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Industrial reuse is really cool. There are gobs of awesome abandoned brick 1900-1930 industrial buildings in Dayton that cry out for it...

I love reuse of old buildings as well, but I had reflections on the less positive aspects in this previous post. Small negatives, on the scale of things. The tax structures are unfortunately set up to penalize urban infill, in favor of greenfield development (read: plow under farmers' fields to make subdivisions). However, we can hope that demand creates more infill in cities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home