2006-02-15

Not a bad day...

Not too bad of a day today; perhaps better than average.
  • I have been stressing for the past month about a paper that I am writing for a conference in August. It's not that I don't have a handle on the material, or that I won't be able to fill it out. I had worries about "can I get it started," and "will it be good enough." Well, I have a pretty reasonable outline set up at this point, and I'm feeling a bit more comfortable in terms of it being a decent paper. I am hoping to have it done in a bit more than a week; a week before the "real" deadline, so that my advisor and former mentor can both review it.

  • Cooked a nice little dinner--always satisfying. The local food presentation that I went to impressed me enough that I'm making a bit more of an effort to eat with some regard for the seasons; I realized that I have never cooked turnips before, as far as I remember.

    The turnips are the white and purple ones; the larger ones are rutabagas.

    Just the standard Cook's Bible roasted vegetable recipe (pan roasted in the oven, with onions, salt, pepper, thyme). They turned out well; I need to try a few more preparation methods. That went with Alaskan salmon with a chili-cumin crust (another standard, now). Next up is some butternut squash, probably pan braised with soy sauce and mirin.

  • I was surprised to get a call from my former boss this afternoon. He wanted to get a better feel for what my plans were after graduating. I let him know that my current plans are to return to Boston and the old company, if they have the work for me. He replied, "K., we would be ecstatic to have you back." Now, I figured that would be the case, but it was nice to have that reassurance. He then asked me what direction I would like to see the company go in--he has always been very good about feeling out opinions of the rest of the company and being responsive.
So overall, a good day. Now back to that paper...

3 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never cooked turnips? I've seen you cook 10lbs of turnips at Robbie Burns for the last two years!

Well, I thought you were at least vaguely involved in them, at least.

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May whichever muse is in charge of writing look kindly upon thee (those are the crossword clues that always get me).

I just finished revising a paper and now I have to start rewriting another one. I doubt it's as difficult as starting from scratch, but I've definitely learned that outlines are your friends. I had to go over the last paper about 3 times before I figured out what the key points were. Not a good sign. So I figure fromn what you've described, you're already on the right track.

Good Luck! Go Bats, Go!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Never cooked turnips? I've seen you cook 10lbs of turnips at Robbie Burns for the last two years!

Hmm.. I think I ended up doing the other dishes, instead of the potatoes and turnips.

Incidentally, I think that what are cooked at Robbie Burns are actually rutabagas--it seems like there is this bizzare nomenclature difference between American English and UK English. This Wikipedia entry deals with it (i.e., UK turnip/neep = American rutabaga). I think that's why I don't remember cooking "things that look like these things" before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home