2006-01-29

Statistically Improbable Phrases: Multilingual Chick Peas

I went over to Daniel's place for dinner last night--fried califlower, and asparagus & chick pea pasta. Very tasty, and a fun evening. It reminds me--I haven't been cooking vegetarian meals for myself lately; I should get back in the habit.

We were both entertained by the number of languages shown on the can's label--how to say "chick peas" in twelve different languages!

If there are any geeks out there who want to weight in, feel free to check out the link above. Current train of thought is:

French-Portuguese-Greek around the one side, with Arabic, Farsi/Coptic, and Hindi in the middle on the left, and English-Spanish-Italian around the right one, with Hebrew, Chinese and Tamil in the middle.

It's the Rosetta Can! Man... I want more packaged food goods labelled in Linear B! Or Esperanto!

1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you say "Chick Peas" in Japanese?

"Chick Peas gozimos?"

I've seen a lot of Armenian script in Watertown. It's beautiful...and it looks for all the world like a cross between Cyrillic and Thai. Kinda unexpected, though I guess Arabic (which makes more geographic sense) could provide those curliques...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home