2006-01-12

The Term So Far

Boring general update post... apologies if it is more perfunctory than inspired.

Well, the term has actually started (just had the first meeting one of my classes), so here's what it is looking like so far.
  • I am TAing my advisor's course (undergraduate 4th year introduction to building science). It appears that there is not much teaching involved: mostly grading assignments and exams. However, there will probably a lecture or two that I will have to substitute in for. I'm a litle nervous about them; I don't think I've ever done a talk for the scope of a full lecture (2 hours). [Edit: actually, I did teach a one-day course in Atlanta; it required a lot of work and was stressful, but I did ok.] Also, I'm a little worried about the big piles of grading landing on me, and what effect that will have on the rest of my work.

    I was sorely tempted to introduce myself to the class during the first lecture in a completely incomprehensible Japanese accent ("Oh crap, it's one of those TAs again...") and talk for a few minutes before pausing and saying (in my normal voice): "Sorry guys. I'm just fucking with you." As much as I loved the idea, I did have some worries about genuinely offending people who don't have English as their first language--I have to say that I sympathize with both sides. Or offending people with no sense of humor (but they don't get any of my sympathy).

  • I am taking a course over at the University of Toronto, from the professor emeritus who taught my former boss. Pretty cool. In my old job, I learned from Obi-Wan; now I get to learn from Yoda. I've known the professor for years, so I have been looking forward to getting a 'brain dump' of a chunk of his experience. Also, I've always wanted a chance to get to know him and his work a bit better. It looks like I am answering a lot of the professor's in-class discussion questions, which makes me feel a bit guilty, considering I've been in this field for over seven years.

    The drive is annoyingly long (over an hour each way), but we only meet once a week, and there are three of us driving together to pass the time. I hope that I will be able to spend a bit of time in Toronto after class meetings--seems like an ideal opportunity to hang out and see the town.

  • I am writing a paper for a conference in August: despite my time being a Real Person in this field, it will actually be the first scientific paper I have first authored. The draft is due at the beginning of March, so I'm already getting worried about it. I'm nervous for a few reasons: a lot of papers have been written about this topic, so there's always the chance that I've missed this or that vital piece of the literature. Also, a lot of people have investments in various World Views of this problem, so it is possible I will be savaged by some reviewers.

  • As for other things I've been doing since I got back: caught a few movies on DVD and at the local theater. I have been taking advantage of the ice skating rink on campus: I figure I will probably never have the opportunity again in my life to be able to walk 10 minutes from my job and skate over lunch break. We have a stretch of ridiculously warm (~40 F) weather, so I am hoping to get my ass out on my bike tomorrow or Saturday.

So basically, one week into the term, and I already have resounding feelings of guilt and falling behind whenever I am doing stuff that isn't work-related. Ah well. Just 3.5 more months to go.

2 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger شركة الماسة said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger شركة الماسة said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home