2005-12-30

A Night at the Symphony



Another story about my sister: mom & dad gave us their New York Philharmonic tickets for the evening (Weber, Tchaikovsky, and Sibelius). As we were leaving, we were discussing the importance of musical education; of course, we both agreed on its importance. My sister started to tell me (with shock and amazement in her voice) about her "coworker who did not know who Anton Dvorak was." She continued, "and she is a well educated lawyer—-it's not like she grew up in the inner city or anything like that."

Um. Wow. And that's coming from the person who didn't realize Harley Davidson made motorcycles until she read a legal brief about the company in law school. Once again, I view her as a cautionary tale of how I might have ended up, had I been more poorly socialized.

Incidentally, if any of my readers are not familiar with Anton 'New World Symphony' Dvorak, I am more than willing to accept that fact. Unlike my sister, I realize that growing up in a household with a 15 foot long collection of classical LPs was probably a bit outside of the norm.

3 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Dvorak's 9th is the one teachers are most likely to try on kids to get them hooked on classical music. People who hadn't heard it really rolled snake eyes on that craps shoot. (Admittedly, the rest of my classical music knowledge is shamefully superficial.)

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, a 15 foot long collection of classical LPs isn't normal? No way!

Next you'll be telling me that starting violin and piano lessons at age 3 isn't normal either!

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Dvorak decided to develop a new keyboard layout after developing RSI as a musician?

Yeah, I'm a dork. And fairly musically illiterate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home