2005-12-21

Visited U.S. States

Yes, another NetMeme that's floating around.



Click this link if you're also interested in wasting time with this NetMeme.

It seems that I've managed to miss the 'large northern boxy flyover' states so far in my years of travel. Yes, I could do a road trip to hit all the states I've missed. Yep, I'll get right on that. Incidentally, of those states I've missed, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota have populations under 1 million each.. Nebraska is at 1.7 million. To put that in perspective, Wyoming has a population smaller than Staten Island--yes, the 'quaint backwater' borough of New York City.

The high state count is a function of a few things: primarily, way too much business travel. Second, I've done a series of road trips (including a Boston-Texas round trip with JMD and U5), which got me places like Tennesee (Graceland!), Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi. Third, my family typically took driving vacations while we were growing up (e.g., up to Canada, via Maine). Incidentally, I'm counting Utah, which I have only been to on a flight connection at SLC.

There is also a similar web page that generates maps of countries you have visited. I didn't bother, just because my world travel is woefully lacking--a few trips to Japan, a whirlwind England-France-Switzerland-Germany trip, and New Zealand.

2 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clearly you and I should go and do a roadtrip of cold flyover states to complete the set. Then again, I have Wyoming on you and that place is HORRIBLE, at least in the south. Janet and I invented a song to sing as we were driving through, entitled "Why, Why, Wyoming?" which should give you an idea. Then again I have a quiet fondness for Iowa, which I think I've had to go to three times now, and each time I thought right, that's the last time I'm ever going to be in Iowa...

josakana

 
At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hrm. I might be up for a northern flyover state road trip. I think I'm missing Montana and North Dakota, and I've only driven through Minnesota and a corner of Idaho. My other big missing area is the Deep South (Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi), but I don't have any real desire to visit any of those places except maybe the former Nawlins, and that'll take a while to rebuild now.

The part of Wyoming around the Rockies is quite nice - my family visited the Grand Tetons when I was a kid, and that was just stunning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home