2005-12-06

One down, one to go

Did my class presentation this morning; I think it turned out pretty well. Now, I just have to prepare for a final exam in concrete class, in a week. Lots to cover, and judging from the midterm, the exam will be painfully detailed.

One thing I noticed on the last day was the demographics of the class. In this class of 21 people, only 2 of the students (9.5%) fall under the category of "white males." A fair number of women in the class, but heavy representation from East Asians (mostly Chinese, as far as I can tell), Middle Easterners, and South Asians. Of the Asian students (for instance), some of them are definitely from overseas, but other are as 'twinkie' as I am (yellow on the outside, white on the inside--a.k.a. 'banana'). Interesting to note that mix.

Group Christmas party tomorrow night; should be fun.

The photo below shows the problem with conditioning only a few rooms of the house. I have sealed off the living room door with the piece of foam in the background; without the radiator on, it runs about 45 F.



However, my VCR is in that room. And unfortunately, Spalding Gray's Monster in a Box was only available on VHS (not DVD) at the video store, so that's how I dressed to watch it. Don't knock it--a nice hot cup of tea, a space heater, and a toque (Canadian for wool hat) go a long way.

Hey--you can see why I usually just go to the local art house theater instead: it's a shorter walk than the video store, and they turn up the heat a bit higher [grin].

5 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No gloves? You must be living the high life.

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoops. josakana that was.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Bats said...

I actually tried my fingerless bike gloves, hoping to get that whole Dickensian Bob Cratchit thing going ("I'm only putting a bit more coal in the fire, Mr. Scrooge,
seeing it's so cold in there, sir.") However, they really didn't warm my hand up enough to be worth it.

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Now, I just have to prepare for a final exam in concrete class"

For no apparent reason, my first thought involved a professor with a heavy Italian accent and a bunch of somewhat worse for wear ducktaped "volunteers" standing inside square forms...

I actually did pull out some knit fingerless gloves for typing in the office.They're left over from the 80's and a lovely shade of Boy George Turquoise.

If we get you a plant or a goldfish, would you turn the thermostat up past the "Stubborn Yankee" setting?
(which is, curiously enough, also the "D.C. in summer" setting)

warmly yours,
A

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Bats said...

If we get you a plant or a goldfish, would you turn the thermostat up past the "Stubborn Yankee" setting?

Enh, probably not. I had ugly fish in the living room, but his tank had its own heater--like a little space heater for just his room. I actually prefer not having pets or plants now--nothing to worry about taking care of if I need to split for weeks at a time.

I really don't find 55 F to be a hardship, except in the morning, when my body is still getting used to being awake and the metabolic furnace hasn't kicked in yet, as well as in the bathroom (anybody have a line on electrically heated toilet seats? Well, it's one advantage to being a guy...)

(which is, curiously enough, also the "D.C. in summer" setting)

Yeah, I've been looking at the Bay Area weather forecasts, and they are pretty comparable to what I keep my place at.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home