2005-11-16

More ultra-low bandwidth data transfer; travel plans



Did another bike ride to Kitchener to download our field experiment; I actually computed out the bitrate this time. Given a 464 kB file (=3,712,000 bits, right?), and a 2 hour round trip, that comes out to 515 bits/second. Now that's a "skinny pipe." Which reminds me--I always thought it would be fun to build a network interface card that used tin cans and string instead of unshielded twisted pair, just as a perversion of technologies--call it "Tin Base-T". I wonder which of these two options would be faster?

One reason for the slow bitrate was the weather. I think this was the last long ride of the season--it was cold (high 30's/low 40's F) and blustery today, and it's getting worse this week. Friday's high is forecast as 30 F (-1 C). Yuck. As I was pedaling away at walking speed up a hill, legs completely tapped out, with the the wind pushing me back and freezing me, I was frustrated enough to be cursing the whole effort out loud.

In other news, I have decided to fly to Boston for Frostbyte's memorial service. I will be flying in on Friday night (staying with Bird & Jen in NH), and flying out on Monday morning. I think that many other people have a much greater personal connection to him, but I feel like I really need to go to lend moral support to the Teps (both undergrads and alums), and to genuinely pay my respects.

I figure that its not a secret that Frostbyte's death is now a front-page story in various Boston newspapers ("Drug lab being dismantled; Discovery shakes Fort Point neighbors") (if the link requires a login, try using BugMeNot). It's ugly, and I feel terrible for what FB's family, friends, and the house must be going through. If I had to guess, I would imagine that the police saw bunsen burners and other chemical lab paraphanalia, and said, "Yep, meth lab." If that is the case, I hope that this correction will not be buried below the fold of page B23 two weeks later. On the other hand, I don't know enough about the situation to dismiss what the authorities are saying. The situation could be that bad, which would be incredibly depressing. My apologies if this comes across as "not supporting my brother," but I honestly don't know, either way.

4 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you mind passing on any information about the service for Frostbyte? I'm an old friend from Baltimore who wishes to pay respects, but have found it very difficult to get a hold of anyone in Boston. Thanks. tronster@cesmail.net

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oof. This sucks. Sorry to hear it's so messy.

Safe journey.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, that sounds entirely fair. And like a good letter to the Globe. [hint, hint] As in, a visit to a typical creative MIT person's home may very well reveal stuff the average person wouldn't understand. I for one can think of at least 3 cool reasons to have a bunsen burner at home, and none of them have anything to do with cold medicine.

When I read the post about Frostbyte, I scanned the obit section and death notices... nothing. I should have realized that more often than not, when someone in my extended circle of friends dies, it's a front page deal.

[there's a Bloom County cartoon about that, from back when Berke Breathed was both funny and original. I'll try to find it...]

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Sally Jacobs and I am a reporter with the Boston Globe. I am writing a story about Frostybyte and wondering if some of his friends might be open to talking to me. I would like to do a story that gets beyond the sensational headlines to talk about his art and his extraordinary mind and the plumbing under the zoo. Please call me @ 617-929-3070 or email at jacobs@globe.com
thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home