2005-11-13

NYT Article: Penguin Classic Collection

The New York Times has an article titled "One Well-Read Home Has Some New Pets: 1,082 Penguins"--it's about a woman whose house in Los Alamos burned down in the forest fires, and she lost her 2300-book personal library.

After that, on her birthday, her husband bought her the complete collection of the Penguin Classics Library, 1,082 books sold only by Amazon.com for nearly $8,000.

Man. That is the kind of gift that I would be happy to spend that amount of money on, versus the whole diamond ring scam. Not to mention how happy I would be ending up with a woman who would appreciate something like that.

5 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger j.ho said...

Sounds like my mom - she lost about 6,000 books when her house burned down in 2000.

BTW, she would rather have books than diamonds. AND her bungalow needs work. AND she lives in Long Island. Hmmmmm... I think you would be perfect for my mom.

Scary. I shall start calling you step-daddy.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Yeaaaah.... who's ya daddy, baby?

Sorry. Ewwwwwww. :)

Sounds promising, except for Long Island--being closer to my parents is a negative, not a plus. Also, you told me her age, and it's outside the 'half plus seven' rule. Oh well.

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. When the poor UPS guy delivers them, I like the idea of her getting them out of the box and realizing that her whole house has suddenly been redecorated bright orange...

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but bats i thought you liked the whole mrs. robinson thing.. she's perfect for you!

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but bats i thought you liked your mrs. robinson women? she's perfect

 

Post a Comment

<< Home