2005-11-13

Pie!


'
Went over to Dan and Daniel's place for an apple pie-making party, and ended up staying for dinner. It was fun, and the pies we both made were extremely tasty. As were the pizza and califlower that Dan made.

It was my first apple pie of the season, which was a nice feeling--yeah, fall has arrived, but there are some redeeming sides to coming home in the dark--pie tastes that much better. In fact, I think it may be the first pie that I've made since I've moved up here--I know that I had to unpack my Apple Peeler Corer Slicer from the box I moved it up in. Incidentally, the device is a present from my friend AJFBS. Thanks A! Let me know if you find a decent wheat-free pie crust recipe, and I'll give it a shot next time I see you.

In case people are curious, I use my mom's recipe for filling, and Chris Kimball's Cook's Bible recipe for crust (uses both shortening and butter). I used Northern Spy apples, which I bought at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. I have to say that it was very nice to transition from plane flights (travelling at 400 mph on my ass) to biking around the Waterloo countryside up to the market. Dry heaving notwithstanding.

And yes, Jen, I realize that the pastry "leafs" are a very "Martha" touch. Honestly don't remember where I got that from, though.

1 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, apple pie!

I've been making apple crisp, as it's easier to make a wheat-free crunchy topping. I have made a crumb crust alternate (using nuts) that works well for pumpkin pie, cheesecake, etc. But a lovely flaky crust still eludes me.

When I asked G to pick up some apples for baking, he brought home fujis. I don't know if it was my reaction or the taste of the resulting concoction, but this weekend I got a huge bag of apples to work with-- all Macs. Happiness.

and BTW, cranberries make a lovely addition to apple crisp.

Now I have the urge to bake...

-A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home