2005-11-13

Frostbyte

I figure the majority of the readers of this blog are Teps who already know about this, but Frostbyte (Kevin M.) died on Sunday.

Fuck.

I can't say that I was really personally close to him, but I always admired him, his amazing skills in many fields, and his willingness to help out Tep so much. He was one of those people whose email to mailing lists I typically saved: they always contained useful information for later. I guess that we bonded in the work that needed to be completed after Fred Fenning's death--both of us considered Fred to be an amazing mentor and educator, as did many of the 'Teps-who-get-shit-done' core group.

Fuck.

1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts / memory (posted over at LJ):

A friend and fraternity brother of mine died yesterday (Kevin M., Frostbyte to most of us). He was a freshman after I had graduated, but I knew him through occasional contact and through the emails he wrote. The man was brilliant, creative and incredibly passionate in everything he did.

Ironically, my first memory of spending time face-to-face with him was after Fred died, another fraternity brother lost far too young. About five of us were helping the family index Fred's house and basement workshop before they put it all on the market. Frostbyte was like Fred in so many ways, always tinkering with something, always with a new project going on. Most of us thought of him as Fred's successor, keeping TEP-o-phone and other custom-designed systems alive and working around the house. The image that sticks in my head the most from that day was seeing Fred's desk, just as he had left it before making his last solo flight. It still had a stencil of the font he was designing so he could modify the "Ford" label from his old 1970 van to read "FredVan" on his new Dodge Ram 2500.

I have to wonder how many tens of inventions sit in Frostbyte's house and lab, never to be finished, and how many hundreds more we will never know. The brighter the light, the darker the world seems once its gone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home