2005-11-27

Must... concentrate... on... tooling...

I have two more days to finish my paper and presentation, and I think I'll be able to pull it off without crazy hours or anything. Unfortunately, that means that my thoughts keep meandering into the future--immediate, near, and far. After Tuesday (paper/presentation due date), I'm looking forward to having time to take care of the dirty laundry stockpile, fix my car, and go out skating. Oh yes, I also need to fix my computer again--this time, it just needs a replacement power brick; something I could diagnose with a multimeter, but still a $75 annoyance.

After my final (December 13th) I'm looking forward to two weeks relaxing in Boston with friends and catching up--just like last year. I think it is when I can return to being myself.

And in the long term, I'm looking forward to moving back to Boston--so much so that I'm spending time wondering, "Will I move or sell the washing machine? Who can I give away my condiments to? Do I need to pick up some more boxes to pack up my things?"

Along those long term lines, I'm wondering what I'm going to do when I return--back to renting, or will the real estate market cool down enough that I might want to consider buying? Should I leave my stuff packed up in storage somewhere, or uncrate it all? I'm sorely tempted to buy somewhere in Somerville where the Green Line Extension might be going in--to quote Michelle Shocked, I would be "waiting for a station like some people wait for a train." The idea of being a single-seat ride away from the MFA, Symphony Hall, and tEp sounds really tempting. (unfortunately, getting to the airport will still suck--three seat ride, if you include the shuttle bus).

Yes, yes, I know the Bay Area crowd is campaigning hard for me, but I haven't been sold yet.

Changing subjects, an amusing anecdote: my mom sent me email checking in on my holiday plans for visiting New York. She wondered if I would be down relatively early, because she wanted to invite me to a party with some of her Japanese social group. She mentioned that a bunch of artist-types would be there, including "people your age." I have grown finely tuned to the nuances of being "set up," especially given that my mom probably thinks I would be happiest with "somebody from the same background." The fact that I was planning on being up in Boston at that time notwithstanding, I reacted with all the enthusiasm of Fredo being invited on a boat ride.



There's a railway siding along my walk to school that's usually empty; I took this shot when they parked a few cars there the other day. Pretty neat how the golden hour can make amateur hack snapshots look pretty.

In other news, the outdoor temperature went above freezing for the first time in a couple of days. We're supposedly getting highs of 55 F/13 C on Monday and Tuesday--i.e., the same temperature I'm keeping my apartment heated at right now. Will be nice if/when it happens.

Okay, back to work, slack-butt.

6 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

unfortunately, getting to the airport will still suck--three seat ride, if you include the shuttle bus

Well, right now, green line to the airport is three seats. But red line is now two seats to the airport. The red line connets to a the silver line going directly to airport terminals. The silver line being a bus-train-subway. subbus? bain? Anyhow, I've done Davis Square to an airport terminal, and besides the fact that south station construction is still messy, the silver line was quite servicable. Of course the leg I was on doesn't mix with traffic much.

MBTA plans fortell that the airport bits* of the silver line will connect to the green years (worst case, a decade) before the green gets to Somerville. So a green line station in Somerville is extremely likely to be two seats from the airport.

*The silver line is not yet a contiguous line.

As this rant may suggest, Jerusalem is close to the proposed route, so I've given this some thought.

Anyhow Bats, it was great getting to cook with you at tEp. I'm a big beliver in grieving by servicing, and it was an extra pleasure to hang in tEp's kitchen with you.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, you're always welcome to visit here and tool in front of our fire. We heat to 21°C.

[Indeed, if you want to do so tomorrow, I'd even value the company while still being very quiet. D. is away until Tuesday.]

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Indy--

The red line connects to a the silver line going directly to airport terminals.

Yeah, I've been wondering about the Silver Line myself; I just haven't had a chance to take it to the airport. Does it seem reasonably speedy, or are you stuck on the bus going, "Holy crap, why is this taking so long?"

I'm glad that I got to cook with you too, Indy. We should definitely get together and raise a few glasses when I'm in Boston over the holidays.

Dan--

Thanks so much for the offer--it really does sound nice and wonderfully comforting. However, Monday is the night before my paper and presentation are due, so I'll probably just be pounding on getting it done at that point.

But after that, I'd love to get together sometime. I'll email you when I have this paper and presentation in the bag.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The house across the street from us is still for sale. A little more distant from Logan Airport than Somerville, but closer to TF Greene!

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't settle for some dinky overpriced shack in Massachusetts! Come live in the unfashionable midwest. It's only a little colder than Boston in winter and a little warmer in summer...

You have to check out this house that is for sale in Oberlin now. It's probably the prettiest house in town. No one's buying it because it is too expensive. Or maybe because it is too big.

195 Forest St Oberlin

$289,000 for FORTY THREE HUNDRED SQUARE FEET of house with tons of fancy woodwork, tile etc. And of course it is ideally situated just two blocks from my house :-)

What one would do with that much house, (or how one would pay to heat it) are excellent questions.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Hi Leper--that link didn't work for me, but I found it after poking on their website here. Wow... that's a pretty house. But way more house than I need.

And as lovely as it would be to live down the street from you, Elizabeth, and Zenobia, I'f afraid that I am probably going to stay coastal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home