2005-11-21

Last plane trip this year (I hope)



Logan Terminal E 06:22

You wake up at Seatac, SFO, LAX. You wake up at O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth, BWI. Pacific, mountain, central. Lose an hour, gain an hour. This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. You wake up at Air Harbor International. If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Narrator, Fight Club

As mentioned before, I took a trip to Boston for FB's memorial service. Often while running to a connection on my business travels, I pass by a gate marked "Boston" and wistfully think, "If I could get on that plane, I'd be at Brehznev's by dinnertime with my friends." Well, this time, I got on that connection to Boston. But to be honest, it would have been nice if this trip wasn't necessary at all.

I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout for the memorial service--the MIT chapel was packed with perhaps ~200 people (standing room only). Folks flew in from all over the country. I had this mental image of a map of the country, and all these animated arrows simultaneously converging on a tiny dot on Comm Ave. I know it is not a big deal in this highly mobile world, but in a sense, it seems logistically amazing that it happened.

At the memorial service, there were readings and stories from family, Teps and other MIT folks, childhood friends, and coworkers. As I have mentioned before, I admired and liked FB, but I didn't know him personally very well. I am glad that I got to hear those stories, at least.

I think all of us have a hint of guilt to say that we enjoyed seeing each other, given the scope of this tragedy. But coming together at a time like this was probably the best way to console each other and celebrate FB's life. I know that I would be terribly disappointed if people didn't have a decent time at my wake--I'd want it to be an awesome big-ass party. Also, as a completely irreverent side note, if people get some 'grief booty' after my wake, I demand a dram of Scotch poured on my grave in compensation.

6 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. You need a dog.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just don't forget: use soap.

-A

(who was happy to see you in between airports)

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That mantra has been running through my head recently. I was planning on another viewing this weekend to see if I was inspired to change my direction in life.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Sorry--this is an unfinished post that I meant to wrap up last night before falling asleep.

Chuck--yeah, you totally 0wnz0r me in terms of air-miles-travelled-per-year nowadays. A re-evaluation does sound like a reasonable thing to do. As long as it doesn't devolve into putting nitroglycerin-filled vans in buildings. [smile]

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked this up the other day--the chapel seats 190 including the folding chairs, so I think you can safely call it 222 attendees. Which is just as it should be.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

222 was what I got when I counted the house.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home