2005-11-21

Car Eit

Well, my travels back from Boston went fine. Until I got out of the airport, sat in my car, turned the key, and heard click. Hmm. Click is not a happy sound. It is a sign, surely, of jumper cables or a tow truck in my future.



Yeah. Suck.

I tried jumper cables at first, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I think it is possible that perhaps the jumpers were not set properly on the 'live' car (it was one of those annoying GM side-terminal batteries that you can barely get a grip onto), or perhaps the battery is completely dead.

Anyway, one bright side is that I got to find out the proper way to tow my car. I knew that an all-wheel drive Subaru is supposed to be towed with all four wheels off the ground (except for short distances), otherwise transmission damage results. And I've always seen those little pairs of wheels on the sides of tow trucks, and wondered how they worked. Well, I got to see them in operation.

Note that this truck is, as you would expect, the current "axle cradling" tow bar setup, as opposed to the ancient "hook and chain" setup (see the Wikipedia article on tow trucks for clarification). Are any of you both old and geeky enough to remember the old hook & chain tow trucks? They had a large rubberized mat or strap that held the front of the car up. I believe that they became obsolete with the rise of plastic (as opposed to chromed metal) bumpers--it was easy to damage them while raising/towing the car.

So the two-wheeled dollys fit one (wheel pair) underneath each (automobile) wheel. There is a bar that goes across, under the car, connecting the two dollys. You lock the frame together, then you use a 5' steel bar to turn a cam on the dolly, thus raising the automobile wheels off the ground (that is the operation being done in this photo). Presto--good to go!

The whole operation (towing back to my house) only cost $80 CAD, which--I thought--was a relatively good price. The tow operator decided to tell me his life story--by the end of the ride, I knew about his history of depression and medication, his growing up in Montreal, his brother with a heart condition, and the office parrot that swears during important phone calls. Well, it was entertaining enough.

7 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But why is your car being towed?

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, you are wonderful. I admit it: I sabotaged your car just to see what interesting things you would find in the towing experience.

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but there's nothing quite like being towed by a pickup truck while you ride in the car being towed. Towed with a strap, of course.

I love having a redneck next door. And hey, I lived to tell the tale..

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, when a *cat* is miffed because you've gone away for more than a day, it just ignores you for awhile...

-A

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Bats said...

U5--that's what you get for commenting before I finish off the text :)

Rebar--D00d! You owe me a beer for breaking my car. [grin]

Omri--I actually had the opposite experience on time, because I keep a tow strap in my car. I was driving up through the big dig, and traffic got really slow. Turns out there was a guy in a minivan that had broken down in the middle lane. I said, "Screw it; I'm going to deal with the situation right here right now." So I got out, and my buddy Psycho Security Guard checked traffic to see if we were going to be rear-ended while my head was under the towed car. I hitched it up, and started towing. However, I didn't realize that the next exit was up and over the Tobin Bridge. Gah. Dropped him off in Charlestown, and had to navigate back to the highway (ramps are not a commutative process in Charlestown).

A--then again, cats would probably have stronger objections to being jump-started.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was I supposed to know you hadn't finished the text? ;-) And I think you are right about feline objections to jump-starting.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BATS, my name is Sally Jacobs and I am a reporter with the Boston Globe and I am writing a profile about Frostbyte. It is not a drug story - it is a story about his life and his art and his passion. I want very much to talk with you. I do not need to use your name. Would you call me at 617-929-3070, or email at jacobs@globe.com.


many thanks


Sally Jacobs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home