2005-11-22

Back to work

Back at the University now; we got our exams and projects back today in class. I did a few points above average on the exam, like I thought, due to whiffing some of the questions. But I got the highest grade in the class on my presentation/case study letter report. However, (1) it was only 5% of the grade, and (2) this is the kinda stuff I used to do for a living--if I couldn't rock at presenting a case study on a building, I should be pretty embarassed.

Anyway, one interesting thing I saw in the hallway was a world map, with push pins for everybody to put "where they're from" on it.



It confirmed something that I thought was the case--UW is heavily southern-Ontario dominated, compared to MIT, which drew pretty equally (or at least with a bit more distribution) from all over the country. The map is pretty cool--it also shows the heavy Indian/subcontinental, Middle Eastern, and Chinese populations.

I proudly put my Boston pin on the board. New York is a pretty strong ancestral home, but Boston is where I'm "from."

3 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're forgetting that UW is a public university, as are all Canadian universities.

It is extremely expensive for Canadian students to go to out-of-province universities, so a huge fraction of our undergrads come from southern Ontario. [Also, 80% of Ontario's population is within 2 hours drive of here...]

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Oh ok--I didn't know that. It makes a lot more sense now.

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a joke apropos about Canadian politics and how dumb they are, but never mind; I'll tell you the next time I see you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home