2005-11-29

Wow. Funny.

In an email from my sister this evening:

By the way, Mom was curious about the female voice on the greeting of your answering machine. She was wondering if you had a girlfriend.

Um, as far as I know, that's the default Packet8 caller unavailable message. Maybe the voice sounds hot... if somebody wants to call while I'm out and let me know, feel free.

JMD or Jen--you didn't record a voicemail message for me that I don't remember, did you?

Now if Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me offered--instead of Carl Kasell's--maybe Terry Gross's voice on my answering machine, I'd be all over that. Mmmmm... Terry.... :)

But I think this is starting to reflect a degree of desperation on my mom's part. I have to say I find it more entertaining (albeit in a disconcerting way) rather than provoking any sympathy on my part. But on the other hand, I'll readily admit that my mom probably has good reason to grab onto any straw of hope she can find--I sometimes think about how many days go between my talking to an unattached member of the opposite gender outside of a retail or waitstaff setting, and... um... man, that's just depressing.

10 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm starting to get a hankering to fix you up. Hold on, let me find my rolodex.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it calls for a "Record a Sexy Voice for Batman's Answering Machine" contest right away.

 
At 2:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! Oh! Do it, Catherine! Do it! I want to hear what Batman's mom says when he explains whose voice it is!

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I realize it's both not true and might make more problems than you want to deal with, you could always come out to her.

I suspect that the questions about your romantic life would suddenly decline to zero...

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Dan--as tempting and amusing as that option is, I don't think it would faze my mom and/or prevent my parents from being as painfully overbearing ("Oh, I met this nice man today that I think might be..."). I think they would be happy enough knowing that at least one of their offspring might not be permanently single.

As a ferinstance, there was one Thanksgiving when my dad commented, "If you want to bring home a girl to Thanksgiving sometime..."

[painful pause]

"... or a boy, that would be ok with us."

While I found their openness commendable, I had to squeeze it into the basket of "amusing but painful experiences with my parents."

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is best posting evah!

josakana

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, scratch that idea...

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, sometimes Terry *does* show up for "not my job" on Wait Wait...

Or in your infinite spare time I'm sure you could assemble a composite recording out of Fresh Air samples.

If there is a contest, I promise I'll enter as soon as I get this winter's inevitable cold/flu. It's the only time I can do anything close to a Lauren Bacall impression.

Okay, now back to my version of tooling hell... my boss has decided I should be the person to proofread/rewrite papers from his grad students in China who writing interesting structure of sentences. Which, to be fair, are a heck of a lot better than anything I could ever write in Mandarin.

-A

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's Terry Gross on Wait Wait (I loved that Not My Job!)

I betcha we could collect a good set of messages Bats -- what email address would you like us to send the MP3s to?

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, my mom was desperate enough at one point that she didn't care whether women were single or not. Her reasoning was that I was so fabulous that the woman in question would dump her boyfriend to be with me. So we'd meet somebody (like one of the Lantz's friends) and my mom would be bugging me to ask them out even if I told her they had a boyfriend.

Of course, now that I have a girlfriend, my mom spends even more time asking about how our relationship is going, which is just about as agonizing as you might imagine. So it may be a lose-lose situation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home