2005-12-15

A Day Around Town



A delightful day of wandering Cambridge taking care of some errands (Christmas shopping, cards). I guess I'd describe my day's experiences as the wonderful exoticism of the mundane--i.e., these are all things that would be run of the mill if I still lived here, but coming in from out of town, I reveled in the feeling of being home again.

First, JMD's house is in a great location--five minute walk to the 77 bus, and 10-15 minutes to Porter Square. Merely taking the bus was enjoyable--I'm that close to both Porter Square and Harvard Square--i.e, the Brattle, Bartley's, the Harvard Bookstore, and Burdick's. Entirely by chance, ran into Wasabi at the post office, and he showed off his sexy folding bike.



I love these chance encounters around Cambridge and Somerville--amusingly enough, they happened on previous visits too. Finished up my Porter errands, and had a burrito at Anna's Taqueria.

Then walked to the Cambridge Public Library--in case this is useful news to anyone, they moved the main branch from the Harvard Square location to close to Inman. According to the librarian, it will be about three years before they move back. Coffee at 1369, and hoofed it over to NerdWorld (MicroCenter) to kill some time.

Incidentally, compared to Waterloo, Boston weather is positively balmy right now--and that's spending the day walking around without long underwear! Check it out--it almost went above freezing!.

A lovely dinner in Harvard Square with AJFBS, followed by wandering through the local stores (Parchment, Cardullo's, Black Ink, Harvard Bookstore). At Cardullo's, I took the opportunity to buy a new jar of Vegemite--I have just about used up the astronaut-style squeeze tube I brought back from New Zealand in 2003. I am vastly entertained by eating salted yeast by-products of the beer brewing process. Hey--at least when I'm crossing the Canadian border, when they ask me if I'm bringing food, "no" is a reasonable credible answer.

3 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you can get Marmite at the Savoury, in the same building as the Duke of Wellington and Twelfth Night.

But I don't know about Marmite...

 
At 2:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *love* the expression

"exoticism of the mundane".

Nice use of language. I understand.. *smile*

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Aw, thanks, Daniele [blush]. I've been reading your recent updates to your LJ as they have come in, and I think you have way more reason to use that term than I do right now. BTW--your LJ reads like some type of exotic travelogue/novel a lot of the time--thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home