2005-12-14

Perversions of technology



This is the kluge setup I use to listen to my iPod while driving. First of all, I have a really neat car stereo that has an audio in jack (and plays burned MP3 CD-Rs). So I built a short 1/8" stereo male-male cable to connect the two.

I inherited this piece-of-crap car power inverter with a broken fuse holder. Unfortunately, nobody sold the broken piece as a replacement, resulting in the Radio Shack special dangling inline fuse holder. iPod charger is plugged into that, which in turn plugs into the iPod.

It does seem like a perversion of technology to make AC (car's generator... I think...), turn it to DC (native car's 12 V), run it into the inverter box, change to AC, and then have the iPod brick turn it back to DC. Oy.

I have to admit that I feel rather unsafe scrolling through songs while driving. Yes, I am very cautious when I'm doing that. I will hopefully delay my next car purchase long enough that heads-up displays for the MP22.11b system will be integrated.

2 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Integrated with the steering most likely. Gotta love those Airbus road sedans.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Bats said...

...they also make a car plug that supplies USB power

Unfortunately, my iPod is 'old school, yo'--it is FireWire, and only 10 GB (which is, as Leper put it, even older and lamer than the iPod Dennis Hopper had in Easy Rider)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home