2005-12-31

Mmm.... frites



On Chuck's recommendation, I hit a Belgian frite place in the East Village, Pommes Frites. They were spectacularly yummy (thanks, Jess!). Their smoked eggplant mayo is damn tasty, too. But I feel kinda ill now, having finished most of a 'regular' by myself (for a late lunch).

They fried them in regular (vegetable, I'm assuming) liquid shortening. I have heard frite lore about the superior nature of horse fat... I'll need to see if I can find them made with horse lard someday.

They definitely get points for offering poutine (French-Canadian dish made from a combination of French fries, chicken gravy, and curd cheddar cheese)--it is the pinnacle of "I'm drunk, I'm hungry, and it's 2 AM" food.

If anyone is looking for a local frite place, I stumbled across www.belgianfries.com--unfortunately, the closest one to the Bay Area is up in Seattle.

2 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would probably commit a felony just to have real Belgian Frites nearby...

This summer I will definitely have to check out the Portland (ME) option. (Unless, of course, they're fried in Corn Oil). Bonus points if they have many sauces... which would probably be off limits anyway... Damn. Food Allergies suck.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Oof... I didn't think about the what-are-the-rest-of-the-ingredients aspect of frites. If I'm down in NY anytime soon, I'll ask them what kind of oil they actually use, and if any of their sauces can be conclusively determined by the state of California to be Amie-safe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home