2006-02-13

Enough already with the friggin tooth stuff, Bats!!



I know I should stop, but I had to inflict yet another tooth photo on you guys.

About a week ago, it felt like my molar wasn't quite right. When I got to a mirror, I realized... "Oh crap. I lost the entire corner."

Yeah, this is the implant tooth that had a failed filling, a root canal, a gum boil, treatment with antibiotics, failure of the root canal, extraction of the tooth, installation of a dental implant, the dental implant crown falling off, and replacement of that crown.

I'm probably going to leave it as-is: it's keeping the opposite tooth in alignment, and I don't want to risk having a whole new set of things go wrong.

Several people have asked me, "Why the hell have you stayed with this same dentist through all of this?!" Well, probably more out of loyalty and comfort with the status quo, as well as a belief that "maybe this time it's all right."

Hmm. That don't bode well for my dating life.

4 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to nag, but there's quite a contrast between your tooth saga and G's recent dental drama. Honestly, a good dentist/endodontist/etc. can make all the difference. Would you keep going to a grocery store if their produce sucked?

[somewhere in Hopkinton a certain future D.D.S. is rolling her eyes, which is probably as close to screaming as she gets...]

Of course, this is coming from someone who found a great doctor but hasn't actually gotten a check up in the past, um, year or so...

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Yeah, I've decided to bail on this dentist, I think. I suppose there is one reason for this loyalty that I didn't explain. Chief graduate student's father is a retired dentist; he basically passed on his patient list to this practice. However, the dentist that I see is not the person who originally started this practice; he is a later addition.

Also, the university just instituted a student dental plan, so I will probably just go to one of their preferred providers for future cleanings and checkups. Makes a good excuse, anyway.

 
At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'm thinking of finally getting around to replacing my fake front teeth. Except I have no idea what kind of process I'm supposed to use to comparison shop for something that will cost $6k, and be part of my body that people see immediately upon making my acquaintance (at least in meat space). It's scary how little information the layman has about this sort of thing. And how much more comparison shopping i've done for things like my cellphone and laptop.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing I've noticed about medical practitioners, eye doctors, contractors and the like: the good ones seem to know each other. My mom uses this technique all the time: once she finds (usually through word of mouth) someone who can do amazing carpentry, she'll ask him to recommend an electrician, etc. Nine times out of 10, she's happy with the result.

G really likes his dentist, and it sounds like he was referred to a pretty good endodontist from his description of the root canal procedure.

Um, maybe I should go brush my teeth now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home