2006-02-21

0 Days Til IRS



Okay, this post will require a bit of explanation, but it provides a little slice of life here at a Canadian engineering university. First, many Canadian engineers, around graduation, receive an Iron Ring: it is a ceremonial ring worn on the little finger of the working hand, to remind the wearer of his or her obligations as an engineer to society. The Wikipedia entry is also pretty comprehensive: "...popular legend has it that the rings are made from the steel of a beam from the Quebec Bridge," (which collapsed twice during construction, due to poor design);however, based on discussions I've had with other engineers, it is made from stainless steel pipe that Canadian vets cut up into pieces.

Anyway, the ceremony (Iron Ring Ceremony, or IRC) is a big event that is held this time of year. Before and after this ceremony is the Iron Ring Stag (IRS), a day-long party, involving drinking starting early in the morning, ridiculous costumes, and inflicting rowdy visits on professors and classes. The balloons above were how my hallway looked when I arrived in the morning (800 balloons, supposedly). Seems like a good way for fourth-year students to blow off for a day.

So the reason for the title is that posters typically go up, announcing X days to IRS (Iron Ring Stag), ending with 0 Days to IRS.

Incidentally, I intend to get an Iron Ring when I graduate; it will have to wait until the February after I finish (the ceremony is only done once a year). You can ask to have a specific person present the ring; I am planning on having my former boss/mentor bestow it on me. I will then probably have the Geekiest Right Hand ever--a Brass Rat plus an Iron Ring. Cool, eh? I could set up a galvanic couple between my two fingers, if I put them in lemon juice!

6 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get the titanium alloy ring and a vanadium steel one and you can perform the Metallurgic Fist of Doom attack!

Sorry -- of DOOOOOOOM!

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only will you be instantly branded a geek when you reveal your right hand, but your default reading in those airport security metal detectors will go up another notch...

I still think the coolest sign that you're a real hands-on kinda guy is the grout imbedded in your Rat.

Hm. Guess *that* could sound kinda funny out of context...

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with IRS is that blowing off steam is fine, but the way that the undergrads do it is often amazingly sexist and degrading to women.

*sigh*

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. Well, I guess the sexism would explain
1) The name "Iron Ring Stag"
2) my confusion over said name. As in, "What's it got to do with a big male deer?"

[peering through bangs] There's blonde hair in there somewhere...

Granted I'm not an engineer (nor do I play one on TV) but sometimes people's attitudes make it so much easier... If a man assumes I can't understand what he's talking about (and speaks accordingly) it can be a huge timesaver. "okay, don't need to schmooze with this one, I can dismiss myself and check out the veggie dip." Not that it doesn't piss me off, of course...

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm...veggie dip.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Bats said...

I can't speak to the sexism or offensiveness of the celebrations--I only saw and heard them pass by. There were some female engineers celebrating--but quite underrepresented, as is the case in this field. One of them came in to hand in her group's assignment, pissed off that the others had blown it off and left her to deal with it (and thus keeping her from enjoying this day).

I can easily imagine that the worst behaved elements are both the most visible and the most memorable, compared to folks who are just drinking but are mostly benign. Also, it is probably is a self-selecting process for bad behavior.

I wonder if part of the perception might be from insider vs. outside point of view. I would consider myself somewhat an insider (as an engineering student), even though I have no desire to participate in these celebrations. I know that there were things that Teps did that got us into trouble (e.g., water war with PKT, disrupting classes), which seemed completely harmless to us within the group, given that we knew the personalities of the people involved, and their basic intent. But I could see (at least now) how others could see this behavior as threatening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home