2006-02-23

Yay bagels!



I was informed a couple of months ago that the local bagel store was closing, which is the only place in town with authentic bagels, as opposed to goyische dinner rolls with a hole through the middle. This made me very sad:

In very unfortunate news, it appears that the authentic New York style bagel shop that I mentioned earlier is closing down. Dammit. No way I'm staying for a PhD now. [grin]

However, I passed by the place on my way to get some medical tests done (more on this later), and it was open! It turns out that the owner had given up and was trying to sell the place around Christmas but had no takers, so he decided to reopen. So he is back in business, however tenuously, and he's still a bitter nutjob. Similar to those environmentalists whose work consumes their lives but end up being unable to halt destruction of natural habitats. Or, say, democrats who have any sense of realism [smirk]. (Note that this is being said from a sympathetic point of view--similar to the Will Rogers quote: "I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat.")

So anyway, if you're local, go buy bagels! Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, 7:30 A to 2 P. I am currently enjoying an onion bagel with lox cream cheese, fresh cracked pepper, and capers. Mmm mmm mm...

[But no, still no plans to stay for a PhD, even with tasty bagels.]

Oh yeah... those medical tests. I went in to get some tests done yesterday and today. I have been having chest pains for the past few days, and was getting a bit worried; they got significantly worse two days ago. The chest pains are mostly minor, centering on sternum towards left side; they are noticeable when I breath deeply or cough, or toss on a heavy backpack.

The doctor figured it was nothing, but ordered up a round of tests. I had an X-ray, EKG, and a bunch of blood work (CPK, CPK-MB, LDH, GGT... all tests to see whether the heart has sustained damage). There didn't seem to be a close tie to exertion and the pain, nor any sign of dizziness or nausea, so it seems unlikely to be anything heart-related. Seems likely to be muscle/skeletal.

I suppose I have some reason to worry, given that there is a family history of heart disease--dad has two stents installed in his plumbing. Not only did I inherit my dad's height, weight, eyesight, temperament, and tendency towards depression, but also his cholesterol levels. Gee... thanks dad. Yet another reason for me not to reproduce.

4 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any local readers besides Daniel?

[Not that that's a bad thing, I just realized that you may not...

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Well, Paul left a comment on my local food post. But apart from you three, I think that's it.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Do you have any local readers besides Daniel?

But you guys seem to know a fair number of locals. If you wanted to let others know that the bagel place is open again, I think that more people buying bagels there is in my enlightened self-interest ;).

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depressingly, they mostly like the Montréal-style bagels. *sigh*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home