2006-02-28

Fellini's La Strada

I know that movie reviews are typically not part of my blog, but I have to make an exception for this case. I recently rented and watched Frederico Fellini's film La Strada (1954); I went in with the hesitant conviction of, "Yes, it's supposed to be a great film, I know, it'll be good for me." As background, the Fellini films I have seen are Roma (1972), and (1963). They, in my mind, define the word Felliniesque: totally surreal and dream-like, not much of a linear plot, and you realize that there is probably a whole lot of great art flying right over your head. And the music... oh the music from 8½--it's like a character in itself. However, in those two films I mentioned, there's not really a story or a set of characters that draws you in on a personal level, or engages your empathy.

La Strada is not like that at all. It is a touching, almost fable-like story, told in a relatively simple, straightforward (but still artful) manner. I watched it straight through, and then sat through the commentary track version the same night. I now put it, along with Charlie Chaplin's City Lights, in the category of 'wonderfully sad but amazingly good old films.'

As a side note, despite my complaints about the genetic material I inherited from my father, I have to acknowledge that I received an appreciation and knowledge of older films from him. Not to say that I'm a real film buff or expert: there are some people (like Judy) who could provide a running commentary on the cinematography and composition of whatever we are watching--I can't hold a candle to that.



But anyway, back to La Strada. One of the three lead characters (Gelsomina) is played by Giulietta Masina, who was Fellini's wife. She was a delight to watch throughout the film--a natural clown, and a face that generates drama just when you look at it. I defy you to watch this film and not fall in love her character, at least a little bit. I've read opinions that somebody with her looks could probably not find work nowadays, which I find very sad but probably true. [Insert nasty remark about generic current A-list actress here.]

So, if you get a chance, watch the film. Next on my rental list is another Fellini/Masina work... I'm glad to keep the local artsy video store in business, as opposed to the Blockbuster equivalents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home