2006-03-07

How Many GM Executives Does It Take...

When I read the paper, I mentally collect stories of how Ford and GM are going down the toilet. My reaction is, well, not happiness, but a sense that they well and truly deserve their fate. There have been loads of stories on how GM is straining under their pension and health care obligations, how their products are not selling despite incentive offers, and how SUVs (i.e., the profit base for the Big Three) are declining in popularity, thank god. The story I saw today was "G.M. to Sell Bulk of Stake in Japan's Suzuki".

Basically, GM is selling about $2 billion of shares in Suzuki Motor of Japan, which drops their stake in Suzuki from 17% to 3%. They are doing this, obviously, to increase their cash supply during their current difficulties: To get cash to rebuild in North America, GM has been selling off assets, including equity alliances made with Asian carmakers during better days back in the 1990's. In October, GM sold its entire one-fifth stake in another Japanese automaker, Fuji Heavy Industries, maker of Subaru autos.

One quote stood out to me: Troy Clarke, president of GM's Asia-Pacific operations, said the sale would reap GM a pre-tax profit of $550 million to $750 million. Considering we have been hearing about how GM has lost money at astounding rates (equivalent to hundreds of dollars a second, if you average it out over the quarter), this seems to be a promising way for GM to make money: invest in other car companies. Ouch.

Okay, a cheap shot, but I have historical reasons to dislike Ford and GM. Exhibit one, below: the original BatMobile: a sky-blue, 1979 four-cylinder piece-of-crap commuter model Mustang. Well, with four cylinders, it was honestly more a gelding than a mustang.



Note: the cattle horns were not a permanent fixture; they were a temporary loan from Beef

This was my car for high school and college; it ate up transmissions on a semi-regular basis. One memorable failure was when the headlight switch on the drive from New York to Boston went intermittent. I spent the entire drive hunched over, pressing on the switch to keep the headlights on. The car also left me stranded on two separate occasions: once in Connecticut (slept in the car overnight; broken timing belt), and on Soldier's Field Road at 3 AM on the way back from IHOP (gave up on the car after that).

My family owned another Ford: a 1976 Granada (V-8, power steering, boat). It had a pretty similar reliability record; as a kid, I remember the route we took to the dealership repair shop all too well. The only reason my family didn't think that we were getting ripped off is that we had a goddamn French car before that.

So… my parents bought themselves a Toyota Camry in 1986, and it's still in good shape (twenty years later). I know that the Big Three automakers have vastly improved their quality. But I still feel justified in holding a grudge.

Most of my experience with GM has been via rental cars, and I have frankly been underwhelmed. I don't know how many of my readers are old enough to remember how GMs used to have two different keys: one for the door and trunk, and the other for the ignition. I always thought this was idiotic: you'll need to give a valet both keys; it doesn't really help security. I found out the reason why: GM used to make all of their steering columns at a central plant, complete with the ignition assembly. They could not manage the logistics to key the ignition the same as the body locks—thus, two keys. Oy. Also, I think they were the last automaker left using single-cut keys (notches on only one side, instead of up-down symmetric). Just another example of their flair for competence. But don't worry—they managed to catch up after a few decades or so.

In a related vein, one of my friends got his master's degree in mechanical engineering at the University of Michigan. He told me that there were typically a group of engineers whose sole ambition was to go work for the Big Three. And they were typically the ones at the bottom of the class, who he wouldn't trust to design plastic cutlery molds.

The Big Three automakers always seemed to be the paragon of corporate arrogance and blindness. For instance, Toyota and Honda threw their energies into developing hybrid cars, while GM dismissed them and concentrated on cranking out profitable SUVs. Well, it's looking a bit like a dinosaurs-and-mammals situation at this point: if you don't evolve... (mmm... tasty dinosaur eggs...)

As a final point, my childhood was in the 1970's and 80's, which was probably the height of the anti-Japanese sentiment in automaking cities and the UAW. The degree of racism and threatened violence in the prevalent attitudes had a lasting impression on me, as captured on picket signs, slogans chanted by striking workers, Japanese-car-demolition events, etc. I don't suppose many non-Asians are familiar with the Vincent Chin case: Chinese-American beaten to death with a baseball bat by two unemployed autoworkers who thought he was Japanese. They each received three years probation. Given the degree of hate displayed by some the workers of the auto industry, I don't have many qualms about avoiding their product.

As a postscript, I don't know how "randoms" read my blog; it's quite possible that there's a reader who is from an autoworker family or something. If it makes you feel better to write a pissed-off screed, well, feel free. But it's not going to change my mind, or the mind of the majority of my friends: I flipped through my address book, and could associate only a small handful of US-made cars (mostly Saturns). That pattern is unlikely to change.

4 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger j.ho said...

"...there were typically a group of engineers whose sole ambition was to go work for the Big Three. And they were typically the ones at the bottom of the class..."

Freaky. Sounds almost exactly like one of the comments on the CarTalk Ugly Car Nominations for the Pontiac Aztec, "Let's face it, not every engineering student gets an "A". The "D" students need work also."

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Oooh, the Aztek!! Oh yeah! Drea, Ouija, Bill, and I drove one on our trip to Big Bend, TX. High clearance vehicle, my ass (I have this picture of the differential scraping on the ground on a dirt road).

I think one of the best things about driving the Aztek was that we didn't have to see it on the road. The New York Times did a great writeup when they closed down the Aztek line; excerpted here:

Q. Will Pontiac mark the Aztek's passing with some official gesture?

A. Yes and no. The Pontiac division will be busy trying to sell the stamping dies and tooling to Daihatsu or DeLorean. But in Mexico, descendants of Aztec priests will placate the gods by ritually sacrificing the last Aztek off the assembly line. Current owners are eligible for a coupon worth $2 toward air fare and bus travel to the volcano into which the vehicle will be hurled.

Q. Did anybody at G.M. look at the Aztek before the first one was shipped to dealers in 2000?

A. The styling studio's entire Aztek file appears to have been misplaced, but internal inquiries suggest that at the final presentation to top management, Pontiac's general manager thought she was looking at a vending machine, the head of styling thought he was hallucinating and the chief engineer had a dental appointment.

Q. Why was the Aztek so out of touch with the buying public?

A. Frankly, it was the public that was out of touch with the Aztek. While the car had it all - four wheels, an engine, seating for four, even a lift-out console that doubled as a six-pack cooler - S.U.V. shoppers just didn't get it; they used the smokescreen of repulsive styling as an excuse to stay away in droves. A "blindfold test" of the target customers proved successful: after their Aztek walkarounds, 9 out of 10 participants begged to be blindfolded.

Q. Why that name, anyway?

A. The industry spends millions of dollars to screen model names for irrelevance, incomprehensibility and weirdness. Aztek outscored all other candidates, proving to be more irrelevant, more incomprehensible and even weirder than Inka, Mohok, Eroquoi and Navaho.

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No pissed off autoworker family here, just a very worried daughter of a GM retiree. My parents health care depends greatly on GM continuing to meet its promises to a man who worked for Delco for over 33 years straight. I'd really rather they last long enough to keep him covered.

How they go about doing that, I have no particular issue with. You're probably right that their cars suck. Everyone in my family has the option to buy GM at cost, and since my grandfather died, not a single person does. So they don't have to sell cars. They could sell everything and turn themselves into a little pension management trust company for all I care. Just keep covering my dad. Hell, they could set up a tiny little trust fund to keep him covered, and I'd be satisfied. Bewildered, but satisfied.

Problem is, he's not with the UAW, cause he worked on their defense contracts, not their cars. So his benefits were side effects of UAW negotiations without the actual contractual obligations to maintain them. So guess whose pension is first on the chopping block?

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

There's a big GM plant here in Dayton that does a lot of their EarthKiller SUV chassis. So I feel bad for the local people who are losing their jobs, the same way I feel bad for the kid whose Dad smokes inside the house.

And I do remember the Vincent Chin case. But I was very up on current events back then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home