2006-03-12

Bank Fraud

Yesterday, on my way to the local farmer's market, I stopped by an ATM to grab some cash. The message showed up, "You have exceeded your limit for withdrawals." WTF? I tried this at a second ATM and got the same answer.

I looked up my recent transactions online when I got home, and found that there were two unauthorized withdrawals: one from an ATM for $500, and an 'account transfer' for $481. I immediately called the bank, and they put a freeze on it.

I think that I will get the money reimbursed all right, after they do an investigation.

It just scares me, because right now, I don't know where my security was compromised. I have never lost a bank card; I don't know if some merchant might have done a double-swipe of my card to get the account number, then saw me type in my PIN. Or it is also possible that my computer account is compromised, which has me really worried. I guess I'll check in on this on Monday, when I will head into the bank and try to straighten everything out.

A bit creepy, and a bit annoying. But I figure it should turn out all right. The wife for one of my coworkers works for the bank where I have my account, so I'm sure she can help me out, within reason.

4 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ick!

I keep wondering when this will happen to me, given how bizarre and scattered my financial life is. Let us know what happens.

 
At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you belong to Citibank, there was a massive break of ATM cards in Canada - see Bruce Schneier's report. I read it on his blog, said "phew, it's only Canada", and forgot about it. I should have told you about this. Sorry - brain fart.

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, same as perlick says. it's not just citibank, it's others too, as it was at the network level. that's probably what happened to you.

jopesche

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the security stuff--the articles were a very interesting read. I went to the bank today to find out the situation; they were quite sure I would get my money refunded all right. They also said that they got a warning about a debit card/PIN security problem this morning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home