2007-12-07

Just in Time for the Holidays...



A friend of mine forwarded me a link to this web site, with a 20-minute movie on consumerism, environmental degradation, and sustainability. Nothing too new or earth-shattering (at least I hope this information is all obvious to my friends), but it was a nicely put-together presentation of the basics--worth watching.

The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. [It] exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever.

Yes, I know--if I were the average American consumer, the economy would have haltingly ground into a recession long ago. Bad consumer! Bad American! You're hurting growth! [smile].

EDIT: A New York Times op-ed ("You Can Almost Hear It Pop") that I wanted to record with a citation here:

This recession will be deeper than the shallow contraction earlier in this decade. The dot-com-led downturn was set off by a collapse in business capital spending, which at its peak in 2000 accounted for only 13 percent of the country’s gross domestic product. The current recession is all about the coming capitulation of the American consumer — whose spending now accounts for a record 72 percent of G.D.P.

I drive a car built in 1992, and ride a bike of a similar vintage (albeit made mostly of replacement parts). The car gets out of the driveway maybe once a month... less money to the House of Saud, yay. Also (a somewhat lame argument) my iPod is a 2002-era second generation 10 GB model... as Leper once put it, "...man, I think Dennis Hopper had a newer one on his motorcycle in Easy Rider." (yes, it would be more convincing not to own an MP3 player at all). I live in a 900 sf apartment with one roommate. I actually don't own a TV now (the set is JMD's, and I sent my TV to live at my parents' place). I still wear some clothing from high school (black Levi's 505s, in case you had images of Back-to-the-80's-Bats).

So it amazes me just how much useless crap people do buy, I guess. I don't feel particularly deprived, or like I'm living any type of ascetic existence. It just pains me to see what goods people buy, and think, as they wheel it out the door of the big box store, "How long is it going to be before that piece of plastic and sheetmetal gets landfilled?" Like, say, these things.

Now please, I'm not trying to hold myself up as any type of anticonsumerist, antimaterialist paragon. I love power tools, and think little about dropping big bucks on them. My motives for buying new glasses were both to update my prescription and for vanity (semi-rimless frames). I have enough income to support a Calphalon habit, and have succumbed. And I shudder to think about all the energy that went into distilling and shipping my single malt collection (although a friend of mine promotes his taste in beer as, "drink local!").

But stuff (or lack thereof) has been of a particular interest to me since returning from Canada. I only took a subset of my possessions (maybe half) with me when I moved up there in 2004. Since moving back in early 2007, most of it has been in storage, so it's surprising to realize that the essentials are pretty sparse. I've become a big subscriber to the "bits, not stuff" way of life. It's an experience I'd recommend to everyone--perhaps a little bit freeing (although Chuck has me beat by a mile on that front).

EDIT: Another experience that informs my attitude towards stuff was cleaning out Fred Fenning's house after he died in a plane crash in 1997.


He was 44 when he died--not too far from my current age, and he had set up a life that is similar to where I see mine going. A small house, not far outside of town, living alone, with a great and organized electronics/machining/woodworking shop in the basement. So dealing with his estate was a bit like seeing what it would be like after I check out. It makes all the organizing, collecting, acquiring seem a bit pointless. Hence a bit of my "bits not stuff" attitude (nobody feels bad about just chucking out a hard drive... or it might just end up being archived anyway). Or as an NPR commentator put it, “You live, you die, your stuff goes out to the curb.”

As a last discussion before heading to bed, one segment of the video covered the "life treadmill" folks get onto. I.e., gotta go to work, to buy more stuff, then come home wiped out, sit in front of the TV, and get brainwashed into thinking our lives suck, but that buying more stuff would fix it... so off to work again, repeating the cycle. One soundbite was that people now have the least amount of free time since feudal days (fact check, anyone? I'm curious). In contrast, I don't have a mortgage (or even a lease), or dependents (heck, the cats are JMD's, not mine), or debt--so it's not like I'm scrambling to keep up. But I still work a fair amount (and stress myself out disproportionately), even though I don't particularly want to. Perhaps I do need to see if I can put the "half the pay for half the work" plan into action. Ambition? Feh.

5 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ambition? Feh.

I hear ya.

Insert ramblings about Gen-X vs Boomer, stuff vs experiences, "success" vs happiness, time off vs corner office, etc. etc. etc.

(Man, are we the most cynical generation ever, or what?)

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger MikeP said...

Only til the next one comes along, beemer.

I'd like to give that sort of life a try (substitute books for power tools, yay dead trees) but my wife and stepdaughter wouldn't be well-pleased. My new seekrit plan is to move to the boonies, so acquisition of New Stuff is more difficult - but also means I'd have to commute to work. Can't win.

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger dan said...

I have started to be less self-congratulatory about this in the last couple of years, as I have realized that instead of buying stuff, I buy airplane tickets, and rape the planet that way.

I don't wear 20-year-old clothing, but I do have some that's from when I was in college, so that's 12-15 years or thereabouts.

I think the real question, for those of us with decent salaries and decent bank balances who don't really need stuff is the one you mention: how to balance our lives. I have no idea what the answer to that sort of question is.

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's see. 20 years ago, I was 5 foot even and about 100 pounds. Yeah, I don't think I have any clothes from that era still.

And I had the same feeling as Dan at some point when I calculated my environmental footprint online, and determined that I was worse than an average American because transcontinental plane flights wiped out all of the good (no car, walk to work, small apartment, etc.)

I'm pretty good about not buying stuff (except books - can't resist books), but I have to admit that every now and then it's worth splurging on something nice if I'll use it (TV/stereo/bed/computer). My theory is buy less stuff, but buy _nice_ stuff when I do.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger j4 said...

I'm helping my grandmother pack and psych herself up for a move from a 1 bedroom apartment to a studio in a retirement home. I have tried to talk about how I think it's totally spacious, since my recent experience is a suitcase and bicycle, and I've only lived in an apartment by myself for 8 months ever, I think.

But she's gone from a 3 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom apt to a 1 bedroom, and it feels like losing something. Plus for her there's the melancholy knowledge that she'll never cook a full meal for herself again. (She's 91.)

But most people need big houses because of their stuff. Stuff and guestrooms. My aunt is considering buying an apartment complex with friends and turning it into pseudo-community living (or real, hard to say) and I think that's pretty neat. Community living is a great thing as you age. You just have to buy into it early.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home