2007-11-05

Two Items for Your Amusement

Two screenshots that I'm hoping will give you all a chuckle. First, TV Guide's context ads get it wrong:


I like the mental image, though, of various countries getting together to have an 'intervention.' Actually, that might be needed for this country:

EU: Y'know, U, you've been hitting it pretty hard recently...
US: Shudthefugup..
EU: I mean... you're up over 20 million barrels a day...
US: I can quit anytime I want...
EU: Look, all of the rest of us are really concerned...
US: Go 'way... pisshoff...
EU: And they're just gonna jack the price of oil, now that you're hooked...


Second, I noticed my Wikipedia search history recently, and was amused by the odd collection of articles:


First of all, this was around World Series time, so I was a bit curious, "Hideki Matsui and Kazuo Matsui--any relation?" (Nope).

As for Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, Hideki Matsui had a cameo in that movie, according to the Wikipedia article. So I had to click the link and find out about it. Godzilla movies on a Saturday were a huge part of my childhood, and I have a lot of affection for the dudes in the big green suits stomping on miniature Tokyo. I didn't realize they remade it so many times: there's the 1974 original, the 1975 sequel, the 1993 version AND the 2002 version!. Oh, good grief...

The Sacramento reference was due to my recent trip--I stayed at the hotel at Sacramento airport, and I thought it was classically and strikingly 1960's, and wondered if there was some background info on it. It hadn't been redone in ages--it almost felt like a movie set. Unfortunately, my Google-Fu didn't reveal anything on that front. Also, alas, they are going to turn SMF into yet another glass box swoopy roof airport.

Portland was due to another recent visit--looking up the Time & Temperature Building.

Port Wine and Wine Terms come from hanging out drinking port with Bird & Jen--exactly how do they stop the fermentation process, to keep it sweet? (by fortifying it with distilled alcohol, they kill off the yeasties). So word of the day: "must" is the unfermented grape juice.

As for 30 Rock, they are showing NBC sitcoms and dramas on United, so I actually watched an episode, and it was amusing enough that I thought I'd look up the background info. Maybe I'll check it out once in a while.

Ok... yeah... I'll admit it... it's also that I that think Tina Fey is hot. So busted. To paraphrase Ms. Parker, I'd rather make passes at girls who wear glasses... ahem... not that I really gotten to put this into action or anything. Speaking of the subject, this Salon article on the topic amused me greatly, in its delighfully lascivious detail.

2 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger j4 said...

Hmm. The guys hitting on me from MSP to SEA told me I looked like Tina Fey. So admiration for girls in glasses isn't that uncommon.

chuck

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger dan said...

Now I wish I'd had the chance to stay at the SMF hotel when I lived in Davis. When I came home, I stayed in Woodland, around 8 miles west of SMF.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home