2007-10-17

Degree Status: F'ing Done!

I have held off on an actual, "Yeah, I'm really done with my degree" post, even though the thesis deadline was a few weeks ago, and as far as I could tell, I had completed all the degree requirements. However, given how painful all this jumping through final hoops has been ("You have to ship another 3 copies of your 300 pages thesis to Canada, because your page numbers are in the wrong place."), I figured that there were still infinite numbers of things that could still go wrong. E.g., the office key that was returned by my friend was not actually entered into my account, and the warning notice went to the wrong address; there was a library book that I never heard about that had been taken out in my name, etc., etc.

However, I have been up in KW since Friday for work, and I got email telling me the bound copy of my thesis was ready. Holy crap:


(For some reason, this picture reminds me of, "I am being held for ransom; here is a copy of today's newspaper to prove that I am still alive at this date." Anyway.)

Yep, it's here, and it's real. To confirm, I went to the Graduate Studies Office, and they cut me an official letter stating I had completed all graduation requirements (I needed it for other reasons). And the online database agrees:


So at the risk of appearing to be trolling for 'congrat's' here, I believe I am, as I said, f'ing done. Holy crap. Many thanks to all of you who have provided such wonderful emotional support during this entire academic arc--as per the last line of my thesis dedication:

Finally, my widely scattered friends were my lifeline and connection to the community that I left behind in Boston. With their kindness and correspondence from all over the continent, they helped fight the isolation that I felt moving away from my home of over a decade, and helped me keep a measure of sanity throughout the darkest hours of this degree.

15 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Blogger j4 said...

Wooooooooooo!

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, you troller, you :)

No, seriously, given all the annoyances of the last few months as you finished up, it must be such a relief to not have to think/stress about this any more.

Clearly you should have a party. But you should wait until Thanksgiving so I can be there :)

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger dan said...

I'm thrilled for you. I just wish I were handing it to you.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger inkandpen said...

yippee! That's one fat book!

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

F'ing Congratulations!

 
At 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

boooooooooyakasha!

congratulations, dood. well done on getting the blooody thing done.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Sean M Puckett said...

Excellent.

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I think a little trolling for kudos is perfectly fine! Why? Because we, your friends, want to know these sorts of things! Again -- congrats from the left coast.

Jen

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YeeeeeeeHAAAWWWWW! Congratulations!
So when do you start applying for PhD programs? ;-)

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you go, bats, yeah!

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck yeah!

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Congratulations!

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Jenn Steele said...

Fantastic! Congratulations!!!

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Batman!
It's your Master's!
We gonna party like it's your Masters...

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone.

As to a PhD, heh... to parallel the gap between my undergrad degree and my MASc, let's see how I feel in another decade ;).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home