2007-10-03

Dual Flush Toilet


My apologies for resorting to potty humor, but when I was at Dartmouth I found the delicate phrasing of this sign above a dual-flush toilet pretty amusing.

I think this needs to make its way into everyday speech--"Man... I gotta take a seriously high demand, or something's gonna burst!"

The reason why I was reminded to post this image was this New York Times editorial, by Robert Morris, arguing for consuming water in less stupid ways. I.e., we treat all domestic water to drinking quality, and then drink less than 1% of that water (according to the editorial). And we use that same water to flush toilets. Ugh... the waste of that process has always struck me--it's similar to how invaders sacking a city would destroy its water supply--throw dead animals and feces down the well. Of course, insert lawn irrigation rant here as well.

However, plumbing codes are probably the most hidebound, technophobic, and fragmented buildings codes that exist--more than other codes, the whim of local inspectors or unions holds sway (corrugated stainless steel tubing in California, as an example). As a result, it's not a rational process, and if you want to change the code, the battle has to be fought one municipality at a time. Therefore, I have little hope of these changes (e.g., separate water for flush/irrigation, graywater systems, etc.) making much headway.

4 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*snap* to all that.. *sigh* - wish we lived in a different world sometimes.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so funny. I've experienced toilets that do that, but it was more of a figure it out by accident rather than two buttons and a sign with directions.

Speaking of things... I need your expert advise concerning materials and energy. My flatmate and I live on the first floor of an old house with single pane windows. We want to minimise the heat loss so that we burn less fuel (beneficial to us, the planet, etcetc). Do you have any suggestions? Have you ever lived in an old house where you felt the need to do a home-made fix for winter? We've heard about the caulking and the plastic, but we're open to better methods using less obvious materials.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I can consider myself a world traveler now-- I've forgotten that there was a time when that sign would've been informative, rather than "well, duh."

The water thing freaks me out every time I get back from China. We are flushing our toilets with drinking water! What is wrong with this picture?! I have hopes for installing a grey water system in the house. Oh, and I learned something this summer: clean the gutters before adding a rain barrel. Though the plants don't mind getting watered with liquid compost...

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't experience to use this kind of toilet. I haven't seen it even in person. But I'm planning to have one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home