2007-09-30

New Instructable!

As repeatedly promised, I have finally put up an Instructable for my dorky bicycle trailer! I hope you will find it informative and entertaining.


There are plenty of other great bicycle trailers on Instructables, but I thought I'd post my own. Some of the key points: no welding is required for this trailer, and it is built (mostly) from items from Home Depot and spare bicycle parts.

This trailer was built over time, with a couple of iterations. A few times in this Instructable, I'll use the phrase, "Ask me how I know..." Most of these lessons were discovered during failures of the trailer on the road... these were cases when "the wheels coming off," is more than a figurative phrase.


Considering I started on this project about a year ago, I'm glad I finally got it posted. You can see the multiple iterations that were needed to solve problems. Basically, since I'm done with thesis, this was the next thing on my list.

2 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now the onus is on me not to be a lameass. Man, now that I'm hours away from signing up for a job at the Hancock, I am soo tempted to ride a full fledged dorkmobile there for my commute.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Bats said...

To put this in context, I built this in my grad school days, when the equation was having more free time than money. Nowadays, as a working stiff, I have more money than free time, so I'd probably go and buy one.

If you want to feel moderately hard-core about it, this website has some pretty cool looking trailer kits--I was tempted to go with these, at one point, but was dissuaded by the annoyance of shipping to Canada. Also, there are loads of cool, well-engineered trailers out there--like BOBs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home