2007-06-17

Weekend Update

A weekend, actually at home? Without a pressing deadline? What a bizzare notion! It revolved around social things (specifically two concerts), power tools, and food (um, one at a time--not combined). The Boston Early Music Festival on Friday at 11 PM--Judy and I saw Ensemble Clément Janequin--male voices plus lute. If you check out the picture in the link, I have to say that the director has an utterly amazing and beautiful countertenor voice, but some of the more regrettable hair I've seen in a while (a bit like Ed's pocket description of Kronos Quartet: awesome music, bad clothing). On Saturday, Rebecca and I went to see the True Colors 2007 Tour (warning, music-enabled website). It warrants its own blog post, but in brief: Cyndi Lauper, Erasure, Debbie Harry, The Dresden Dolls, Rufus Wainwright, all MC'd by Margaret Cho. Probably more hip of a concert than I actually should be going to. As JMD put it: "Bats, no wonder you have a problem hooking up--you're spending Saturday night going to a gay/bi/lesbian/transgender benefit concert with a married woman!" Hmmm... point taken...

Second item--power tools! I've been itching to finish one final item in my current place: a kitchen cabinet upgrade. Yes, I know that you're all incredibly interested in kitchen cabinetry, but I inflicted these posts on you from Canada, and apparently, you're still reading. This is the "before" picture; it is the cabinet that stores most of the pots, pans, and casserole dishes:


I installed a rolling drawer from from IKEA (in case you're curious, a RATIONELL Deep fully-extending drawer)--I needed to build a front for the drawer (attaching mounting brackets, drilling two holes)--for $40, it was a perfect solution to the problem, and saved me a lot of effort of building an entire rolling tray. The upper shelf could be replaced with a full-depth shelf (melamine, with a maple 1x2 biscuit joined to the front. Yay jargon!)


As for food--JMD has had a hankering for Carribean food since getting back from vacation; I found a Boston Globe article talking about local roti restaurants. We went to Singh's in Dorchester; it was pretty good. The problem seems to be that a lot of those will be difficult to get to by mass transit--I guess the Roxbury Crossing one isn't that bad.

Finally, after having a recent bicycle trailer wheels-coming-off failure, I needed to do some repairs. The 2x4 with lag bolts was replaced with two pieces of 1" EMT conduit, and 7/16" threaded rods holding the whole thing together.


Sorry, Omri, no instructable yet.

I managed to do it without setting the house (or my clothing, or myself) on fire--angle grinder with metal cutting wheel >>> hacksaw (i.e., banging the rocks together). Just don't mind the burnt plastic smell wafting around.

"Hey, drywall's fireproof--no worries!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home