2007-05-13

Old School, Yo

During my recent trip to school, I stopped by the campus store to pick up some "identity swag," or whatever they call logo-wear. Yeah, that's right, went to Canada, took some classes, got the t-shirt. Also, I actually decided to buy (and apply) a car window sticker:


I think that part of the reason for getting this sticker was it is likely to be pretty rare here in MA; it might end up being a random conversation starter at times ("Hey, are you Canadian?"). For instance, on days when I wore a UW shirt, I've had several people ask me about it: one was an optometrist who knew about the department by reputation; the others were alums working in the U.S.

You might notice the distinct lack of the MIT sticker. That is quite intentional. First of all, it seems very off-putting/braggish to me, as well as way too common in these neighborhoods. But also, I still harbor enough bitterness towards the 'Tute that I don't think I'd ever put one on. For instance, I seriously considered using this quote from 1984 under my yearbook photo:

What happens to you here is for ever. Understand that in advance. We shall crush you down to the point from which there is no coming back. Things will happen to you from which you could not recover, if you lived a thousand years. Never again will you be capable of ordinary human feeling. Everything will be dead inside you. Never again will you be capable of love, or friendship, or joy of living, or laughter, or curiosity, or courage, or integrity. You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves.

[Part of me wishes I did, for sheer orneriness. However, I'm glad I didn't--there were plenty of professors who were great counter-examples to the soul-crushingness of the 'Tute.]

Note that despite my biterness towards the Institvte, yes, I do wear a brass rat. I don't consider this a "I'm proud to be an alum from this wonderful place" indicator. If anything, it would be closer to an ex-con's prison tattoos: "You had that piece of my life, but you didn't break me."

Hrm... perhaps I should have this spiel ready the next time I get a fundraising call...

3 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, good quote. Mine was gonna be from Wind in the Willows: "Nothing would please him but to punt all day and everyday, and a fine mess he made of it." Of course, it refers to the boating term. It's probably just as well I never got around to sending it in. The best quote I read in the yearbook was from a friend of mine:
"I don't need religion. I've seen hell, and I can deal."

Sadly, I still find myself in work-related situations where people assume I'm younger/clueless, and wearing the rat is a useful way to indicate otherwise. especially if you interact with people who are very status conscious.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Blake Stacey said...

As you remarked the last time we went by
The Institute: "I really could not tell
The difference between this place and Hell."


— Vladimir Nabokov, Pale Fire

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger dan said...

I have given the 'Tute a little money over the years, but exclusively to the Council for the Arts. That organization had a major, and uniformly positive, effect on my life while I was an undergrad. I can't say that about any other organization at the 'Tute.

Certainly, I miss Ithaca painfully, and never regret leaving Boston.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home