2007-06-13

Boston Local Postcard Supply

All of you probably know about my obsessive-compulsive postcard habit--in the back of my mind, part of it is driven by the thought: "Well, if the next flight I get on augers into a cornfield in Iowa, here's a small physical sign of my existence. To quote Harlan Ellison's suggested epitaph--"For a brief time, I was here; and, for a brief time, I mattered."

Anyway, I previously posted about how excited I was to find a supply of not-the-standard-shots NYC postcards (from Konstantino Hatzisarros/Psaris Productions). I was browsing in Porter Square Books after work, and came across some neat Boston postcards, made by Kittiwake Card Company. You can check out their selection of here--they have things like the Boston Fish Pier, Government Center (yeah, it's ugly, but as a result, you seldom see postcards of it), Davis Square, and even the Fung Wah Bus!


So, if any of you have been infected with my 'send postcards from everywhere' meme, and you're visiting Boston, I insist that you must find these postcards and give these guys your business. You can check out the list of sellers (Cambridge & Somerville).

Anyway, one of their postcards is the Somerville Round House (Robinson House from 1856, in Spring Hill--more information here). Maybe my wicked smaht readers who are current/former Somerville residents know all about it, but I'd never heard of it before. I got the address, and biked up there after work today.

What a neat house--lots of very nice detailing, but it's definitely been through a seriously long rough patch. The paint is pretty much blown off all the clapboards, and most of the windows still seem to be sealed up. But there's a contractor's sign on the front, and a few roll-offs in the back yard, so it seems like it's being worked on.


Aha--the Davis Square LJ community has information on the renovation that is going on.

5 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a particular love for bad postcards. It's a very gentle way to show a particular kind of (very teply, I think) love: the more they hate it, the better it is. You know, the knowledge that for months, their eye will be caught by that dire photograph of an airport or a tower block or a piece of cheese on an ugly plate with an unlikely background, and they will chuckle and hate you from afar. It's a particular aesthetic.

And yeah, I know that round house. You slumerville slacker, you. GATEWAY TO MEFFORD!

josakana

ps. Damn this is a brutal captcha. I'd link, but apparently it won't let me. https://www.blogger.com/captcha?type=IMAGE&captchaKey=1xzqqhercui2d

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Bats said...

I have a particular love for bad postcards. It's a very gentle way to show a particular kind of (very teply, I think) love: the more they hate it, the better it is.

That's true... I've inflicted a plethora of airport postcards on Bird and Grendel. Also, I remember thinking, "Man, who needs a stupid-ass jackalope postcard from Albuquerque?!" (I think that one actually went to Seraglio).

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a long time my mom had a collection of those all-black "[city] at night" postcards. My sister & I sent one everywhere we went (with variations: San Francisco In The Fog, etc.) and she put them on the fridge. She had a black fridge for months.

If it isn't funny the first time...

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for that awesome "Obscure Presidents from Ohio" postcard, btw... loved it!

Wow, that IS a cool house.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Malhomme said...

Greetings from Mission Hill.

I'm the owner of the Kittiwake Card Company & I came across your blog posting via a google search.

Thanks for the kind words about our postcards. If you send your postal address, I'll send some samples.

Keep up the good work on your cool blog.

Best wishes,
Tim Gallagher
tim@kittiwakecards.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home