2007-05-19

Calphalon Customer Service: Underwhelmed

I'm afraid this post falls into the "ultra-self indulgent" category--complaining about the customer service for high-end cooking gear. Especially after seeing the Mark Bittman Minimalist (New York Times) article on how to equip your kitchen adequately for $200 (it involves restaurant supply stores, plastic handle knives, and restaurant-style pots & pans; see note below). But there's some information in this post that I hope others might find useful and informative. Also, it's always fun to engage in kitchen geekery.

I have owned a bunch of Calphalon Commercial Nonstick pans starting in 2004, but recently, I noticed that the oldest one that received the most use (10" omelette pan) has lost much of its nonstickiness. I was surprised to research that Calphalon has a lifetime warranty on their products--it seems like a poor business decision to implement for nonstick pans. I sent in an email inquiry, and received this response:

Thank you for contacting Calphalon. The sticking that you are experiencing is generally due to a residue that has formed on your non-stick surface. In order for the pan to perform correctly, please try to clean the surface with Soft Scrub brand cleaner and a blue Scotch Brite pad. When finished, please follow up with your normal hand washing. If this cleaning method does not restore the non-stick ability to the cookware, we would recommend sending your item in for warranty evaluation.

Huh.. interesting. Using a blue scrubby? On Teflon? Eek... it goes against all of my nonstick instincts. Okay, here it goes...


Scrub scrub scrub...


Ewwwww....

The omelette test showed some improvement, but that nonstick mojo has definitely departed:


So... into the mail it went. A few weeks later, I received a new Contemporary Nonstick 10 Inch Omelette Pan. I immediately noticed the difference in heft--nowhere near the metal thickness of my old pan; it felt close to big-box-generic-nonstick weight levels. It's probably a decent pan, but nowhere near what I sent in.

I wrote them a moderately irate email:

Unfortunately, I have to say that I am not very satisfied with this replacement. Picking up the pan, the difference in weight (thickness of the aluminum) is very clear; it seems like a cheaper and lower quality pan than what I sent in.

To be specific, an online search (on froogle.com) for a Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick 10" Omelette Pan gives results of $30-40, including major retailers such as Amazon.com and Linens n Things. In contrast, I have the receipt for my smaller 8" Calphalon Commercial Nonstick Omelette Pan from 2004, for $45 ($48 in 2006 dollars), so I am sure I paid more for a 10" Commercial Nonstick Omelette Pan.

I have to admit that I was reluctant to send this complaint, but to be honest, if I had known the replacement item in advance, I would have sent my original pan to a recoating service. I assume that my original pan has been recycled or is otherwise not returnable; please let me know if it can be returned. I can mail the replacement pan back to you if this would simplify the process; I have not used it yet.

I'd like to suggest that in the future, you let customers know what the replacement item will be, so they can choose this item, or perhaps a prorated refund of their original purchase.


To my surprise, I actually got a phone call back from Calphalon customer service. He claimed that the Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick line is a replacement for the Commercial Nonstick line, and that the $30 is a "promotional" price, compared to a MSRP of $70. I have doubts about this, considering that the 10" & 12" combo is $50 at Amazon. But I didn't think there was much point to pursuing this any further.

It's worth checking out that Calphalon has four nonstick product lines now: the Contemporary Nonstick (what I got) is their second-from-top line. I have a Calphalon One (top line) Chef's Pan (via eBay); it seems close in heft to my old Commercial Nonstick. I have to wonder if the reason behind the multiple products lines was a business decision along the lines of: "We have the liability of how many nonstick pans out there with lifetime warranties? Aw crap... who the hell made that decision?! How do we minimize the damage?"

In the future, I'd be interested in trying out one of the nonstick pan recoating services like FryPan Man ("Saving our landfills, one discarded pan at a time!")--Leper had some pans that he sent in for recoating, and they were pretty nice.

Final note--that Mark Bittman Minimalist article mentioned above is now subscriber-only; let me know if you want the PDF. It's a pretty good read--after, all those fancy restaurant meals are probably prepped by guys with $10 plastic-handled knives. Bittman wrapped up the article with "The Inessentials: you can live without these 10 kitchen items":

BREAD MACHINE -- You can buy mediocre bread easily enough, or make the real thing without much practice.
MICROWAVE -- If you do a lot of reheating or fast (and damaging) defrosting, you may want one. But essential? No. And think about that counter space!
STAND MIXER -- Unless you're a baking fanatic, it takes up too much room to justify it. A good whisk or a crummy handheld mixer will do fine.
BONING/FILLETING KNIVES -- Really? You're a butcher now? Or a fishmonger? If so, go ahead, by all means. But I haven't used my boning knife in years. (It's pretty, though.)
WOK -- Counterproductive without a good wok station equipped with a high-B.T.U. burner. (There's a nice setup at Bowery Restaurant Supply for $1,400 if you have the cash and the space.)
STOCKPOT -- The pot you use for boiling pasta will suffice, until you start making gallons of stock at a time.
PRESSURE COOKER -- It's useful, but do you need one? No.
ANYTHING MADE OF COPPER -- More trouble than it's worth, unless you have a pine-paneled wall you want to decorate.
RICE COOKER -- Yes, if you eat rice twice daily. Otherwise, no.
COUNTERTOP CONVECTION OVEN, ROTISSERIE, OR ''ROASTER'' -- Only if you're a sucker for latenight cooking infomercials.


I've been living with a stripped-down kitchen setup for four months; I think I can respond to most of these with some authority. I agree with most of these points, but disagree with:

Microwave: essential for leftovers, and I use it often for quickly cooking vegetables to incorporate into dishes (broccoli, califlower, potatoes). And I have pontificated that having a microwave on a kitchen counter is a painful waste of space.

Rice cooker: I love my ricebot, and consider it a massive timesaver--it is "fire and forget" ricemaking, even if I cook rice once or twice a week. Probably an Asian thing--every household has one.

But I have to admit he's right on boning knives--I own a very nice Wusthof Trident boning knife, and I can't remember the last time I used it.

12 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Daniel Allen said...

It's good to know the result of your Calphalon adventure (tm).

I use dan's boning knife frequently. (From the pics on the net, it looks like we have a boning knife but not a carving knife.) I'm happy using it to carve poultry- the point is great for getting into small areas, and the length just feels right.

I've used carving knives, and the shape of the blade just feels wrong for me.

I was promised a rice-cooker for Christmas, but the offer-er has been too busy to procure one. :)

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger dan said...

I use my boning knife all the time, particularly for, well, deboning poultry.

And the stand mixer is handy. I'm quite happy with giving it the space on the counter it takes up. It's particularly handy in that I can prepare baked goods while entertaining: it takes a lot of the thinking out of the process. I wish Mark Bittman much joy at making genoise with a whisk.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Sean M Puckett said...

Plastic-handled knives FTW. Unless you're sending your blades back to the factory for sharpening (and you are not), they all end up with exactly the same edge in the long run, and washing knives by hand sucks.

For sharpening: the Furi system is the best I've found.

(FLAME ON!)

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what rice cooker do you use? Katie and I have been wanting one but know nothing about them. We want to eat more rice but cooking it is just so hit-and-miss at times.

Coming at your story from a different angle, I have a cheap but nicely heavy wok that has a destroyed coating thanks to a friend and a pair of forks. I use it only for stir-frying so I don't really need the coating anyway. I was thinking about sandblasting it off, but do you think something else would work better?

-Dave

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Wow... I love having fellow kitchen geeks as my readers!

Anyway, I have blogged about my RiceBot in the past--it is a National (i.e., Matsushita Electric, which is the larger holding company known as Panasonic in the US). In fact, the Wikipedia article on National talks about rice cookers.

In case it isn't obvious, I'm very happy with my rice cooker--I'd totally recommend stopping by the local Asian market and see what the pickings are there (i.e., beyond the ancient glass topped ones).

I am agnostic in terms of knife sharpeners. I have a Chef's Choice 2-Stage sharpener that I got at Building 19 for cheap, and it does a basically good job. But I'm not sure if I'm going to let them touch my fancy Shun knives (yes, I do have a weakness for the whole knives-as-cooking-talisman concept).

I'm not sure of the best method to remove a dying nonstick coating--sandblasting does sound reasonable, but probably followed by some polishing/sanding, to make the surface a little less porous. But that's just a guess.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger dan said...

Aren't the chemicals involved in nonstick not ones you really want to actually be blasting off a pan? I'm wondering if this is the sort of thing that probably does belong in a landfill, kind of like the asbestos tiles you don't want to break up.

Can I just say how annoying a Captcha that seems to include distinguishing which of the symbols in "vvw" are vs and how many are ws is really annoying? Thank you.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Heh.. I actually wasn't familiar with the name CAPTCHA, and had to spend some time on the Wikipedia article getting the background, after finding out, "Oh, that's the name of the "I'm a human" character recognition box.

Aren't the chemicals involved in nonstick not ones you really want to actually be blasting off a pan? I'm wondering if this is the sort of thing that probably does belong in a landfill...

My understanding of Teflon/PTFE is that it is incredibly chemically inert, in its normal form--i.e., that's why they use it in artificial joints. It only really starts to become a danger when it is decomposed by heat (e.g., overheated nonstick pan), when it starts to decompose into perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), which is a likely carcinogen. This chemical is also a precursor to PTFE (Teflon), making it a problem when it is released during the manufacturing process.

As a side note, this issue is not a reason to avoid Teflon cookware, in my opinion. It means that you shouldn't sear tuna steaks or smelt alloys in your nonstick pans... save that job for stainless or cast iron.

So I figure that mechanical removal of Teflon (i.e., sandblasting) is not much of an issue. In fact, it would be more of a danger if a nonstick pan went into the trash stream, to an incinerator.

Incidentally, did you know that Gore-Tex uses PTFE? That was interesting to find out--and it is a reason why you don't want to set Gore-Tex on fire.

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, man, I’m so sorry about your pan. Just the photo of the soft scrub next to the pan gave me the willies.

I like kitchen gadjets. I try to follow Alton in the “no unitaskers!” rally, except in those cases where the unitasker is used often (rice bot) or does its job exceptionally well (my shiny pump-driven espresso maker, woo-hoo!).

I don’t agree with all of Bittman’s evaluations, but Guy is a cooking freak (ergo not a good example of “normal use”).

Microwave: um, are there folks who *don’t* do a lot of reheating?

Stand Mixer: I like to bake. I have to use funky alternative flours that are heavier than wheat, and one way to lighten up the batters is to whip egg whites before folding ‘em in. If you have the arm strength and are RSI-free, whisk away. But there’s no way I’d give up my stand mixer and extra bowl. That said, I did start out with a decent handheld, and both the stand mixer & the extra bowl were (much appreciated) gifts.

Rice Bot: frees up a burner, and as mentioned, is great for prep-n-forget.

Convection oven: Was very useful when the apartment we rented had a lousy @#%!! oven. Still useful for baking. Maybe it’s the alternative batters again… Ours also doubles as a toaster and only takes up about as much counter space as a standard toaster oven. Well, OK, necessary? no of course not. Nice to have if you have the space and find a good one on closeout? You bet.

So now that I’ve typed all that, would you need them in a starter kitchen? No, probably not. Guy’s excuse is that he actually *uses* most of his gadjets. My excuse is that I require a lot of activation energy, so anything that makes it simpler/easier is great.

I would have to add that I have maybe 2 favorite knives and about 3 more that I use now & then. Our plastic-handled steak knives were 99 cents each at the Hilltop, and they work just swell thus far. I picked up a plastic-handled paring knife in Europe for 1 Euro, and I absolutely loved it until one very groggy day I forgot which suitcase I packed to check and which was my carryon. Sniff.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should also add that our kitchen represents over 10 years of cooking geekery, so we've each had a long time to accumulate stuff.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We also have a National ricebot, and it has improved our lives drastically. I set it up in the morning before work, and at 6:30, a big pot of brown rice is ready, which we would otherwise never eat, as it takes an hour to cook on the stovetop. I do this at least twice a week. I've recommended this model to several people, because I love the timer on it.

I agreed with a lot of the NYT article, but obviously not with the ricebot recommendation. I also strongly disagree with the stand-mixer opinion, even for a starter kitchen. If you ever make anything with a stiff dough (chocolate chip cookies, anyone?), you need one of these. I have burned out the motors on at lest two hand-held mixers in the middle of batches of baked goods.

Microwave -- with two working parents and two kids under five, this is an absolute essential. I cook big batches of stuff on the weekends, which we reheat for dinner (over the above-mentioned rice from the ricebot). So in short, we use it every day.

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought that Calphalon made a good product (even though I don't own any of their non-stick ware). I haven't kept up with their product lines, since I haven't been in the market for cookware for some time. I was surprised to hear about their recommended surface treatment, and glad to see that it didn't strip off the coating. For what I have seen of back kitchens in restaurants - they use cheap non-stick pans - and keep using them well past the point where they look servicable to me, with bare spots and dents included.

I do feel compelled to comment on the Inessentials list however just for fun.

Bread Machine - I put mine by the side of the curb about a year ago, after not using it for about 4 years. If I were making Runza's though (German dough pockets filled with cabbage and ground beef), a hot roll mix, put into a bread maker until it gets to the 'rise' stage is about perfect prep for the dough. (It would be too cruel to make them, since Amie couldn't eat them)

Microwave - I make several meals worth of food at once.. Duh.. I my book, sterilizing spounges and reheating leftovers are what Microwaves are for. That being said, a small one would be fine for me.

Stand Mixer - Nope, don't use one, except to make whipped cream or egg white for something. Hand mixer would work fine.

Boning / Filleting Knives - Yes. Chicken is about half the cost per pound purchased whole compared with 'prepared'. And, I can get chickens I like that way plus bones to make stock. BTW - I use my Cleaver too. [I would counter -- who needs a bread knife. When is the last time you purchased unsliced bread, and it was thicker than what your serrated utility knife could cut].

Wok - Just because I don't have a 30,000 BTU burner, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the material and shape of cooking in a wok. I used mine less than a week ago.

Stockpot - I used to use one. Now it's used as the outer container for a water jacket for cooling soups, stock, etc. Instead, I make my stock in a 18Quart roaster. Temperature control is a wonderful thing - and it's much more energy efficient than stove top (or even a stock pot in the oven - which I did before the roaster)

Pressure Cooker - I've only used mine once. I'd like to use it more, but haven't gotten around to it.

.... Copper - don't have anything except for some plumbing and change.

Rice Cooker - A good one would be a wonderful thing. We eat lots of rice and cooking on an electric stove and having to monitor the moisture level gets old quick.

Counter top convection oven - Um yes. I use my full sized oven for Turkey, Roasted Chicken, Heating thru seared steak. Everything else not done on the stove top is done in the convection oven. I even warm plates in there.

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's a good Jewish woman supposed to cook chicken soup for 400 without a stock pot?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home