2007-06-12

Dude, You Need a Laptop...

This post is primarily in response to a discussion on a mailing list that I am on, talking about what precautions should be taken before taking a hard drive on a cross-country drive--e.g., whether you need to actively park the heads or anything like that. In regards to that last sub-topic, one commentator replied:

This is done with springs, magnets, airflow, or magic (using the spindle motor as a generator to write out buffers and park the heads) today; the controller nor OS have been involved in this for ages.

Anyway, I rebuilt an office iTunes headless server out of spare parts, so that I can have my entire music collection at the office; I transported it via homemade bicycle trailer:


Sorry, Christy, no instructable yet. As you can see in the picture below, we have some wheels-coming-off problems. Repair is currently in progress.


I tried to provide a bit of protection with some pieces of foam and bubble wrap, but no major precautions beyond that. There were a few moments on the ride of [WHAM!]--"Huh... wonder if it's gonna work after that?"--[WHAM!]--"Dammit!"


The computer made the bumpy ride down Mass Ave (from Arlington Center to Porter Square) without a problem; I'm currently playing music off it now.

1 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have been more concerned about major parts falling out of the computer than I would have been about the hard disk.

Running a business that sold & repaired PCs, I'd get the occasional call from local offices of insurance companies wanting me to offer a second (sometimes third) opinion on how much it would cost to repair a machine that had been damaged somehow, usually in transportation.

The worst was a box that UPS had shipped from bc.ca to ns.ca. The hard disk was fine, but the case was twisted both side-side and fore-aft, the CPU had actually come out of its ZIF socket and had been bounced around inside, every single PCI and ISA card had popped out at the middle of the motherboard (but was still screwed down), and so on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home