2007-05-27

Adventures in Calphalon: Continued

After my disappointment with Calphalon's customer service (see my previous post), I decided I still needed a 10" nonstick omelette pan. Although I was a bit reluctant to give Calphalon my business, I figured buying off of eBay gave them less benefit. So I managed to win one for $60 (unused store display)--Froogle tells me retail prices are in the $110 range. Go eBay!

Anyway, the first step, of course, was the omelette test:


Oh yeah... perfect. It's nice to have a working omelette pan again. I think JMD said she'd buy the lighter warranty pan, so I'm only in the hole ~$30.

As a side note, I'm going to be a lot more cautious in the future in terms of heat levels that I apply to nonstick--both due to the volatilization of the PTFE coating, as well as the fact that I think it really beats up the coating (and probably reduced the lifespan on my previous pan). For instance, see the care and feeding directions.

As a final note, I wanted to do a comparison of Calphalon's product lines: Calphalon One (what I just bought off of eBay) vs. Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick (what they sent me on warranty).

First of all, the former is a much beefier pan--solid cast or forged aluminum handle, vs. hollow steel. I think the edge detailing on the former is a lot better (flared).


Also, there's a kitchen scale here--how handy!


The Calphalon One is a 33% heavier pan: 2 lbs 13 oz, vs. 2 lbs 2 oz. The metal is obviously much thicker.

Well, I've made all the major kitchen purchases I need to for a while now; my list is pretty much wrapped up. However, I will probably shift gears to tool geekery--my list includes an air compressor, air tools, maybe a welder...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home