2007-02-08

Settling In...

I realized that I haven't given an update on my moving-in process; the last major post was on my Ithaca-Boston drive. To summarize: the movers showed up on Monday, and did a quick offload of my stuff into my former company's garage (i.e., storage). The process went pretty smoothly; they were done in a bit more than an hour. I recovered some vital items, including my desktop computer and toolboxes. A JMD is provided for scale:


As for the remainder of this week, I've been setting up my room in preparation for getting my ass in gear and writing again. Fortunately, there were a set of shelves in the basement that I had cleverly recovered from Pemberton's basement, just for this use (thanks, Bird!).


Tools are organized and ready to go in the basement. Priorities, y'know.


I'm planning on punting a bit more, putting together some basement organization [Edit: like this!]


The bedroom decor is an interesting reminder that a lot of my Stuff is not really necessary for a place to feel like a comfortable home. I'm pretty much ok with this (at least temporarily) stripped-down lifestyle. However, I wonder if I will start thinking of my bedroom as the "thesis cell"--solitary confinement for writing, a la The Bet by Chekov (however, fifteen years is way beyond what I'm planning).

I'm also psychologically settling into this new situation and new location pretty well. I love the part of town I'm in--five minutes from the town center; Indian food store, CVS, and Starbuck's a miniscule walk away; post office, hardware store, and supermarket a little further. I picked out a few restaurants that I want to try out, on a wander around town. I have loads of people to see, now that I've returned to town--I'll start planning that over this weekend.

I think I can allow myself one more day to futz around and get myself situated before delving back into thesis-land. Two more chapters, and incorporating edits on two other chapters. I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm sure that once my brain is back in gear, things will start to get moving.

2 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I can't help but of JMD as a new SI unit. She may not be so thrilled with the idea, though...

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Now I can't help but of JMD as a new SI unit.

Hmmm... there's already a unit of bitterness, so I don't know if there's much point...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home