2007-01-24

Have Tape Gun, Will Travel


Just to keep everyone updated: I'm currently in the throes of packing up for my move stateside. It's going relatively well--taking plenty of breaks and being somewhat inefficient, but I think I'll be ready for the moving truck arrival next Tuesday. I'd like to get a lot cleared out of the bedroom by Sunday, because R. will be moving in some of her furniture then.

A few notes on moving: tape guns rock; access to sheets of expanded polystyrene foam (the white beadboard coffee cup foam) and dumpsters full of cardboard is incredibly useful for packing; disposable styrofoam shipping coolers (like they use for sending frozen steaks packed in dry ice) are incredibly useful for packaging glassware; rolls of mover's stretch wrap is great stuff for wrapping furniture, and keeping all the packing material from from my September 2004 move was incredibly important (the box below is on its way back to the US, as well as "Up, up, up with people!")

4 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looove bubble wrap, newsprint (the unprinted kind) ziploc bags and stretch wrap when it comes to packing.

Kinda makes the environmentalist in me scream, though. I have all of these silly tape flaps with pull strips on my banker's boxes so that I don't need to use new tape to close them up. I've tried to re-use stretch wrap...

Did you know Bubble Wrap is a brand name?

http://www.sealedair.com/bubble_home.htm

Oh, and if you need someone to cart off your used cardboard boxes when you get to Boston, G and I would be happy to take them off your hands...especially if they're all so entertainingly labelled...

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Oh, and if you need someone to cart off your used cardboard boxes when you get to Boston, G and I would be happy to take them off your hands...especially if they're all so entertainingly labelled...

Well, a lot of the boxes will still be in use for a while. While living at JMD's, I'll be storing most of my things at my former company's Somerville office, in their garage, up on pallets. Don't know what your time frame is looking like, though.

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I recognize those 1cf boxes! Jean got me a ton of them when we moved, too. They were awesome, especially for the heavy stuff.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger j.ho said...

OMG I'm so happy you saved my Up, up with people box! I can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years since we helped ship you off to Canada. Welcome home, we missed you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home