2007-01-04

With Apologies to Dr. Seuss

Like I mentioned, I just finished the report that I should have gotten done before my trip to Boston/Minneapolis/New York, and worked on through the end of the year. It also is serving double duty as a thesis chapter--the grand total is now up to 220 pages. Good friggin' grief. This has got to stop. At least it's another chapter on the pile.

I did end up working on it whenever I had snippets of free time during my travels, including Christmas Eve, New Year's Day, etc. Don't get me wrong--I went out and had fun for a lot of the holidays, and I didn't work nearly as hard as I should have. It's embarassing that it's taken me until 2007 to finish it. But after noticing my work habits, I needed to create this photo essay:

Will you write it on a plane?
Will you write it on a train?

I will write it on a plane

I will write it on a train

I will write it at North Station

I will write ‘midst celebrations

I do not like this damn report
To work on it’s my last resort


Incidentally, the literary analysis of Green Eggs and Ham in its Wikipedia article is pretty impressive:

The tale is in the form of a so-called "cumulative" story, with a list of circumstances which gradually increases as the story progresses. Thus, one of Sam's friend's refusals goes:

I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I do not like them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Cumulative stories are a traditional genre of English folklore, for instance in the tale "This is the House that Jack Built" or the folk song "Green grow the rushes, O".


Whoah.

1 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record:
I read this while struggling with this year's Winter Disease.
The laughter induced by this entry resulted in a two-minute coughing fit.

I'm kind of afraid to read it again...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home