2007-01-20

Go Bears!


I’ve been here in Chicago for the past several days, and most of the town is going nuts over the conference championship game on Sunday. Heck, they even reported on it on Chicago Public Radio (and well, yes, that's the main reason I know). But has anyone else noticed that The Chicago Bears has a pretty different tilt when you think about it in terms of gay slang? Driving down the road and seeing signs like:

Go Bears!

Chicago Loves the Bears!

…with a mental image of a large hairy guy in a leather vest or something definitely gave me a chuckle during this trip. Hey--it was a four-day trip by myself; I had to keep myself entertained somehow.

BTW--sorry if I’m ruining the playoffs for anyone here. (Hi Perlick!)

4 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW--sorry if I’m ruining the playoffs for anyone here.

Naw, it was already ruined in my book, courtesy of Peyton Manning & Co.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. It's hard to understand the psychosis of sports fanhood unless you've been around when Chicago goes bonkers about a team (as they are about the Bears). I was around ten years old when:
a) The Bulls drafted Michael Jordan
b) The Cubs came one win from the World Series in 1984
c) The 1985 Bears won the Super Bowl

And being young and impressionable, I imprinted on those sports teams to a degree that is really inexplicable to somebody who didn't grow up in such an environment.

And, la la la on the other stuff (fortunately, I really don't have that word association at all).

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a third generation Red Sox Fan, I have some inkling about sports fan psychosis.

I swear, Boston would've gone up in flames when the Sox finally won the World Series except
1) Most of the games in the series went to 11 innings and ended after midnight, so by the last game people were too bloody exhausted/hungover to do anything.
2) the last game was on a Thursday.

I'm sure the next day in the Greater Boston Area was the least productive day ever.

On "that other stuff," one of my coworkers likes to listen to Christian Country music. I'm sure he doesn't hear it the same way I do when a man sings stuff like "he loves me, he lifts me up..."

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. What's with Chicago and bear mascots? The Bears, the Cubs... okay, forget hockey. Just wondering if there's a story there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home