2007-01-20

On Judging By Appearance

When I work in the field, I have to dress like I’m doing demolition in a house because, well, that’s pretty much what I’m doing (as well as downloading data to my laptop and looking at temperature gradients in the above- and below-grade environments). Also, since I’m likely to be outside for a chunk of the day, I definitely want to layer my clothing (long sleeve tee, overshirt, sweatshirt, jacket).


So this is how I was dressed, heading down to breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express. I’m wearing my cap because I had serious bed-head—I typically shower in the evening when I’m working, because I definitely don’t want to bed down covered with fiberglass insulation bits.

At my table, I noticed the contingent of the chinos-wearing roller bag brigade giving me some looks, as if I were out of place there. I don’t have any class insecurities here (considering that I’m in a similar strata), but I wondered just what they were thinking:
  • What’s he doing eating breakfast here? Shouldn’t he be changing light bulbs in the hallway or something?
  • Crap… have to remember to send in my payment to ADT Home Security
  • What the heck is in that pouch? Does this state have a concealed carry weapon law? Is that a grenade launcher or something?
  • Goddammit… are Mexican workers staying here now? Screw it… I’m switching to the Hampton on my next trip.

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed the most likely one: "Man, that's a really fly flannel shirt. I wonder where I can get me one!"

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger dan said...

I definitely felt this way at the hotel you visited me at in SF last summer; before the conference, I was wearing very casual clothes, and the hotel was full of business people in suits. The staff almost sniffed at me at one point, which did piss me off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home