2006-08-27

Two Years



As of Sunday, it is two years since I crossed the border into Canada to start my graduate school career. In addition, it is a bit over two years since I started this blog:

I figured that since I was up moving to Canada, I could occasionally post entertaining stories (if any) or odd events for folks to read, and to keep in touch over long distance. Hmmm... basically, I guess this means I'm lazy enough not to want to answer the conversational question, "So what's new with you?"

BTW--no guarantees on how regularly I will be posting; this blog is pretty much started on a whim. We'll see.


In terms of timing, I'm planning on finishing four or five months from now: thesis submitted by December, and finishing up packing, paperwork, and moving in January. Here's hoping that everything goes smoothly.

When I've mentioned the two year mark to others, they've marvelled: "Wow... is it two years already? It feels like you just left." Well, sometimes that feels true, but at other times, it feels really bloody long. Looking through my collection of photos from the past two years, I've done a lot of things since coming here. My life has not changed in any fundamental way, but there have been enough incremental shake-ups that I do feel changed, so some degree. And I still--at times, almost achingly--miss Boston, even though I have been returning there regularly (typically two or three times a year).

Of course I am going to miss a number of things up here in KW. I'm hoping I'll be able to continue my low-car-use-walking-everywhere lifestyle, with the office moving into town. The moderate-stress lifestyle (ahem... when I'm not taking classes) of a graduate student. The friends that I have made up here (the Dans, and my graduate group & respective spouses). Movies at the Princess, a seven-minute walk away. Pizza or hot melt sandwiches at City Cafe.

I'm sorry, I thought I'd have something more profound to say. Friends, movies, and food... that's about all I have today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home