2006-08-12

More Travel Misery



So, you know about the big story this week, the terrorism threat from liquid-based explosives and the security impacts? Well, that was happening the day I flew to San Francisco. Man... my travel karma must be really low or something--see previous stories of driving through upstate New York during floods and angering the travel gods on a cross-country flight.

Anyway, checkin was fine, but the security lines were ridiculous. I got to the airport an hour early, and had to be expedited out of line in order to make it to the gate.... after my actual departure time. However, they delayed the flight, because they realized that 12 people had checked in but not arrived at the gate yet.

The security arrangements were less than ideal: they confiscated liquid containers at the security checkpoint. Some folks were saying, "Man, the cleaning crew is going to have a great time tonight--there's a lot of expensive wine and hand cream in that bin..." If you bought water after the security checkpoint, it was forbidden to bring it on board the plane. However, they did not actually implement any security check during boarding--so we're relying on terrorists to be on the honor system here?

But I'm in the Bay Area now! Woohoo! I hung out with the lovely and brilliant Dr. O (i.e., Paramecium Woman) on the first day. I met her at the Civic Station BART stop--where all the homeless and mentally ill people hang out. Hey--at least I fit in there, carrying three weeks' worth of clothing on my back. I told her to meet me by the fountain, not realizing that it is better known as the public urinal for the local population.



We had dinner at a Korean place, and browsed at a very nice used bookstore (Green Apple Books).

Anyway, Friday was Bradley's liquid nitrogen ice cream party last night, followed by the Survival Research Labs show in San Jose. Enjoying U-Boat and Christy's hospitality. Power picnic today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home