2006-10-31

A Nice Day Out


Yesterday we finally caught a break with the weather--it was a warm sunny day (high of 14 C/58 F!!!). My advisor and I had a meeting in Toronto in the morning; he headed straight to the airport after that, so I took the opportunity to hang out in town and wander about.

I've come to realize that cities are the places that I feel comfortable and at home in. Walking around places where parking lots do not dominate the landscape, and population density is high enough to support lots of good restaurants. I browsed record shops, and spent the afternoon at a coffee shop, writing postcards and working on thesis on my laptop.

Incidentally, the top photo shows the streetcar right-of way tracks they are building on St. Clair Avenue. Traffic was pretty bad getting through there on the way to the meeting, but walking back along the as-yet empty streetcar tracks was nice.

If you will indulge some geekery: they are still laying track in parts of the line; for some reason, they are using ridiculously long sections of track--I would guess several hundred foot lengths--that they are dragging/sliding down the street behind construction machinery:


The part you see in the picture was less than half of it, if not a smaller fraction.

It was pretty cool, but I really don't understand how this makes sense. I thought that they would typically take shorter lengths of track and weld them in place. Maybe they have a stationary automated welder, and join shorter lengths of track? It's not like they can transport multi-hundred foot lengths down city streets on a flatbed... maybe they're hot rolling it in Hamilton, and dragging it in a straight line to Toronto on the streets. ;)

Anyway, the evening was dinner in Chinatown (at Swatow), followed by catching a jazz trio at The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar. Even though the place has all the ambiance of an American Legion banquet hall, the group (The Peter Hill Ensemble) was worth listening to. There was definitely a moment of, "I'm sitting listening to a cool jazz group, drinking a beer, in an awesome city. This rocks."

Caught the bus back to KW, and was home by 11:30 at night.

Sadly, there were several culinary disappointments that day. I found that Steam Whistle (a local brew, made right at the base of the CN Tower) is pretty underwhelming. The carrot cake at the coffee shop was noticeably aged. And the noodles at Swatow were pretty run of the mill (although their fried stuffed tofu was excellent).

But in sum, a good way to spend the day.

6 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At a first guess, those lengths of steel are a a lot harder to steal. Not impossible, but hard enough that meth addicts won't try it.

Can you tell I live in Boston?

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger inkandpen said...

I was also bummed by Steam Whistle. However, there is a lovely restaurant/bar called C'est What (http://www.cestwhat.com/) that serves only Canadian-brewed beer... and fabulous beer, at that. That definitely made up for my Toronto beer disappointment.

Food was pretty good as well.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Bats said...

However, there is a lovely restaurant/bar called C'est What

Neat, thanks! I'm actually going to be heading into Toronto on Saturday; I've wanted to go hit a new place--this sounds perfect!

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've come to realize that cities are the places that I feel comfortable and at home in. Walking around places where parking lots do not dominate the landscape, and population density is high enough to support lots of good restaurants.

I totally agree. A place where walking is the best way to get around is my kind of town. I have dreams of living in the middle of nowhere, but I suspect I would go crazy if all of my social interaction required the use of a car.

This is where everyone in the Bay Area points out how awesome the weather is here, making walking even better. (Christy, Death and Droid have all been smugly talking up the California advantages. Well, Droid wasn't smug.)

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Bats said...

I totally agree. A place where walking is the best way to get around is my kind of town. I have dreams of living in the middle of nowhere, but I suspect I would go crazy if all of my social interaction required the use of a car.

I think that U5 put it pretty well--he wishes he had a place where the front door opened onto Comm Ave, and the back door to the Berkshires.

I hope that someday, I'll get a bunch of people to split a summer cottage/vacation house with me in the sticks--maybe western MA, maybe NY, VT, or NH.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Bats said...

I was also bummed by Steam Whistle.

Interesting... I decided to do some searching using the Google on the intarnets to see if this was the general consensus.

Based on the Beer Advocate website, it appears that Steam Whistle has a pretty good rep when it is on tap and fresh. And lots of the commentators say, ".. and then I had it from the bottle, and it was crap." Since I had it from a bottle, at a place that didn't seem to have beer connoiseurship as one of its priorities, I'd bet this might be the case.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/730/2189

I guess I'll have to pop into Toronto and try some at the Steam Whistle roundhouse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home