2006-10-12

More Ways to Amuse Yourself in an Airplane...

I did the flight from YYZ to BOS this afternoon--travels went smoothly, except for getting stuck in a traffic jam due to a boat coming off somebody's trailer on the 401.

Anyway, the Air Canada planes that make this flight have these fancy in-flight entertainment centers--you can select which movie you want to watch, TV shows, music, etc.:


Anyway... hey, wait.. that's a USB port next to that...


I wonder if it has power? Hey... I guess it does!


After doing some research on the intarweb, it seems that the plan is for USB to become the new power/charging standard on board planes. However, after doing some more web research, I couldn't find anything set up to actually charge your laptop. Probably would work for small peripherals that draw power from USB.

Anyway, I wondered what might happen if you hooked up your laptop to that USB port... would it recognize it as a peripheral?



Uh oh... it's trying the generic driver instead... agh... it's not an nVidia video card... stop stop!

It also gave me the idea of sitting down next to a relatively gullible looking person on an aiplane, plugging in my laptop to this USB port, starting up Microsoft flight simulator, and start to pretend to fly the plane. Then crash my machine, slap my laptop shut, and start to look really worried...

Either that, or start up the simulator, look at my seatmate, and say, "So hey, I guess you're the copilot today!... man... these airline cutbacks are getting out of hand..."

3 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... USB can't power a laptop. Not even close. That's an upstream USB port, so it's only suitable for plugging in USB peripherals, not computers, which act as USB hosts. I'm really not sure what good that is beyond powering an iPod. Maybe someday you'll actually be able to play movies off your iPod?

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Yeah, I just looked up some of the numbers... 500 mA at 5 V isn't a heck of a lot. Also explains why some higher-power USB hubs need a wall wart; makes sense.

I guess this will work well for all of my colleagues with various PDAs and Blackberries--they can trickle charge their batteries during the flight. I have no idea if the data side is actually connected.

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is connected to something or else you wouldn't have seen the "Embraer EMB 175" pop up

 

Post a Comment

<< Home