2006-04-06

Another day around the city



I spent the afternoon in Toronto after my weekly class today; weather was excellent (clear and sunny, not too cold). Had lunch in Chinatown, at a restaurant called Swatow: it won a spot in a Best of Toronto List (for independent Chinese restaurant). Incidentally, based on articles I read, Swatow is a region of China, between Fukien and Canton, and blends the cuisines of those places.

It was definitely good--I had their fried noodles with pork ribs, onions, and green peppers. I need to go back sometime.

As I was walking out of Chinatown, I was surrounded by the crowds, sights, and sounds of the place--a guy sitting on a stool on the sidewalk, playing that Chinese two-string violin, an old lady pedaling home her groceries on her tricycle. The soundtrack in my head was definitely playing Blade Runner excerpts ("A new life awaits you in the Off-World colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure...")

Afterwards, I headed towards the water, and walked around the base of the CN Tower, and the old railroad roundhouse (now renovated into a brewery; some neat photos of the building here). The brewery rents out their gallery as an event room--seems like a neat place to have a shindig. Walked back up to the bus station, and caught a painfully-stuck-in-rush-hour-traffic bus home.

Ok, back to work.

2 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Blogger dan said...

Have you gone up the CN tower yet? It actually is worth doing.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Bats said...

No, not yet--I definitely have it on my list of things to do, when I have both free time and a clear weather day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home