2006-04-05

Nah, Not Busy Enough... Right.



In addition to this being the end of the term, on top of my term paper, final exam, and grading a final assignment and final exam, the powers-that-be decided that this would be a swell time to make everybody in my wing move out so that they could start asbestos remediation in the building. Thanks guys.

Well, moving out and getting packed up into boxes wasn't too painful; our group is large enough (five people; four were around) that we not only moved our office: we also dealt with our advisor's office. He is a natural accumulator of crap: our office (five guys) was packed into 20 boxes; we had to put his stuff in over 40. Also, he managed to schedule himself so that he was headed out to the airport by about noon today (the day we needed to be done with the move)--I think we pretty much saved his butt on this count. I basically assumed today would be a write-off; pretty much the case.

While they are doing asbestos remediation, they are putting my group into temporary portable housing units--yes, trailers--I ain't straight outta Compton I'm straight out the trailer... Over this summer, I'm really tempted to get a photo of myself with the trailer in the background, holding up a big sign saying, "FEMA, WHERE WERE YOU?!?" or something like that.

Work on the final project is moving along well. My sin of not knowing a current programming language has come to bite me in the ass: I'm using Excel spreadsheets with on two years' worth of hourly data with formulae like:

=IF(AND(AND(BN17="Thawed",BN16="Frozen"),AH17>MC_Crit),"Cycle","").

Yeah, Mr. Computer sprains its brain whenever I open the spreadsheet.

As a final random note: I have a container of saffron that I brought up from the states. I realized that I have not been using it: I've had the underlying mindset that saffron is really expensive, so I shouldn't 'waste' it when I'm just cooking a meal for myself. While cooking up a batch of basmati tonight, I said, "What the hell am I thinking!? If I keep doing this, I'll have an expensive box of red flavorless dust!" Also, the container I have is only $5--burning through it is not a big deal.

So--if any of you come over for dinner, I can make Indian food. With basmati rice. With saffron.

5 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you must have been the one who packed those boxes! so very bats and one of the things we love about you.
ttfn,
jean

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger dan said...

I'll be in K/W in 3 weeks.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trailer sized NASCAR decals. And a car on blocks right outside. You know you want to.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Bats said...

You have no idea how much that makes me want basmati rice...

That reminds me--the next way I want to try preparing basmati is to saute a small portion of the raw rice grains with butter and saffron, and then mix them in with the rest of them. So you end up with orange grains, mixed in with the white grains.

And a car on blocks right outside. You know you want to.

Awwww maaaan. That sounds like a totally cool hack, if I can come up with somebody whose car needs to be put up on blocks. Or if we can find a junker to bring there.

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My method of making saffron rice: melt butter, saute onions & saffron, add uncooked rice, then scoop the whole mess into the rice cooker. Mix in peas if desired. Sauteeing before cooking avoids the bitter just-ate-a-saffron-thread phenomenon (doot doo de doo doo).

You can't put my pimpmobile on blocks (as perfect as that would be): I just got new tires. There are plenty of trailer park hack options... like maybe set up a square of astroturf and a couple of old barcaloungers (preffereably brown & orange, doilies optional) in front of your trailer... Lemme know if you want a macrame plant hanger.

http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/2000/aeroastro-estates/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home