2006-03-19

Food Geekery: Roast Garlic



I recently bought a bunch of garlic at the farmer's market, and was wondering what to do with it. Then I remembered that roast garlic is very tasty, and it works both as a spread on bread as well as an ingredient in other dishes.

Second, I realized that the toaster oven is a pretty easy method to make roast garlic--you're not cooking enough mass to warrant heating up the whole oven, and you can quickly prep it--an hour later, yummy. It was an 'oh duh' moment to me--I think I will be doing this more often from now on; I'm hoping I lower other people's activation energies with this suggestion.

For those of you who don't have a recipe, I use the one from Kimball's Cook's Bible:

1 head garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil

Heat oven to 350 F. Remove loose, papery outer layer of skin. Cut a half-inch off the top of the garlic head. Place garlic in a square of aluminum foil, and drizzle with the oil. Close the foil tightly, place package in oven, and cook for about 1 hour. Remove from oven. When pressed, the roasted garlic cloves will emerge from the top of the head.

[Note: in addition to squeezing out the heads, Jen pointed out that you can extract them pretty well using a butterknife.]

1 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger j.ho said...

Jen pointed out that you can extract them pretty well using a butterknife...

... as she scooped out all the garlic and wolfed it down so no one else could get any.

Ummm sorry about that. As a plus, that was wicked good garlic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home