2006-10-22

Help! Send parentheses!


And nines!

To explain: the keyboard on my laptop has gotten frotzed... probably the result of eating most of my meals while sitting at it at the kitchen table. It was actually very worrying at first--the PgDn key got stuck, so that every time I clicked into a window, it zoomed to the bottom of the page, pretty much rendering the machine unusable.

Now, it boots up and states STUCK KEY: the nine/open parenthesis key is the problem. I thought I was being entirely clever, using dental floss to pop off the key cap straight up, instead of using a screwdriver. Cleaned it out with compressed air, tweezers, and isopropanol. But it's still stuck. Grr.

So for now, I'm doing workarounds, like copying & pasting previously typed characters, or plugging in an external keyboard. It's really annoying in Excel, because functions are entered in the form: =FUNCTION(variable).

Anybody have a good line on keyboard remapping software? I almost never use the backslash/pipe key (\/|).. I was thinking I could swap them with a remap.

1 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could get a replacement keyboard off of ebay-- they seem to be going for between 10 and 30 dollars US right now. -Bird

 

Post a Comment

<< Home