2006-08-29

On children and happiness

I have previously blogged about the fact that I'd put my odds of wanting children at incredibly low. I have occasionally worried that despite this reasonable and long-standing decision, it might someday make me bitter and sad... well, um... more bitter and sad than I would have been otherwise. So it was reassuring to see studies comparing the happiness of parents vs. non parents: e.g., the Pew Research Center's survey on happiness among Americans, as referenced in the Atlantic Monthly's Primary Sources:

Overall, parents are happier than adults who have no children, but this gap disappears once a person's marital status is considered. That is, married people with children are about as happy as married people without children. And unmarried people with children are about as happy as unmarried people without children.

I found these results a bit curious, but probably explicable. For each person whose child who is their pride and joy, the center of their life, and source of support, I have to imagine that there are contrary cases. For instance, I have to imagine that there are many for whom children can be a source of heartbreak--either by a tragedy befalling the child, or that the kid just didn't turn out all that well (or as they 'wanted' it to).

For instance, they might end up with a child who grows up, makes a perfunctory phone call with negligible content every other week, stops by once a year to have a tense few days at home, and largely shuts his parents out of his life. Nah... I don't know anybody like that.

Also, I wonder how many parents there are who have a 'happiness neutral' view of parenting--it was assumed that this was the path to take, and that raising a family was something to take for granted, that you grind through. This stands in stark contrast to most of my peer group: carefully deciding that they will have children and when to have them. It's unfortunate that the awesome body of genetic potential of my friends have is so carefully self-selecting. [grin]

In addition, there are the financial pressures that come with having a family--not just providing for more people and saving for college educations, but the need to push earning potentials to the edge in order to afford a house in a desirable school district--the thesis of The Two-Income Trap. Not to mention the time/energy pressures of raising children--I could see all these factors pushing down the relative happiness metric.

In a marginally-related digression, there was a quote on an NPR show by Andrew Oswald, an economics prof at the University of Warwick (The Connection “Money Can Buy Happiness”); it resonated with me strongly enough that I transcribed it:

You start happy in your early twenties, and then if you’re a typical person, you systematically become less happy... that bottoms out in your early thirties, and then you start getting happier again. So there’s a sort of U-shape or J-shape in happiness and mental health through the average person’s life cycle. We don’t completely understand why that is, but we think there’s a sort of adaptation that goes on where you begin thinking you’re going to conquer the world, then you realize that it’s hard to do that, you gradually come to terms with yourself, and then you can start getting happier again.

It’s good news is that the older one gets, the happier one gets, partly because you come to terms with yourself, you can accept yourself, and you don’t set impossible goals any longer.


It matches the patterns of my life, to some degree. A good chunk of my late twenties were pretty depressing, but that probably had to do with where I was in my life and career. But now, things seem relatively up; I'm am comfortable and pretty well valued in my field. I don't know quite where my life is going, but hey, it's encouraging to know that I'm supposed to be getting happier.

5 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the kid question. Sure, children are wonderful and being a parent is one of the most wonderful and important things you can do... But, er, when? I don't exactly feel like a grown-up myself. I'm still in debt, I can't find my keys, and I'm still stupid enough to forget to eat now & then. I'm lucky (and grateful) that my cat's still alive, and even there I feel guilty because she's too fat and I haven't tried to get her to run around and play more.

At this point, I'm not responsible and organized enough to have a little person who is dependent upon me for food/shelter/guidance. And, strange as it may sound, I don't know that I feel all that maternally compelled. It's funny, I *love* playing with other people's kids. They're awesome and amazing. And I love the idea of being able to influence and teach someone. But I can't get myself committed to joining a Big Brother/Big Sister program. Hell, I haven't even called my *own* sister in months...I just don't think I'm "Mom" material.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Thanks for the comments A!--does this mean you're back stateside? If so, welcome home! Glad to know you're back.

Don't have anything more to say about the parenting question, really, that I didn't say before. But your comment about getting Miu to run around a bit more made me think of this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EFZCTXM99NERIE2417/

To make your catfishing pole, you need...
a fishing pole you're willing to cut the hook off of
a small cat toy (dingle ball. fake mouse, etc.)
scissors
your cat

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the scary thing is I *have* all that, already set up, in fact, and I still haven't gone catfishing in ages...

[yep, I'm back home and going through DouChi withdrawal. I must learn to cook with fermented soybeans!]

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far (1.05 yrs) raising a kid has more in common with feeding yourself or avoiding frostbite in winter than it does with, say, writing a novel. There's not a lot of advanced planning involved. At each point in time you just do what you have to do to get through the day. (I'm sure it would help if I were organized, but it seems to be OK that I'm not, as long as I accept that all of other parts of my life are even more of a mess than usual.)

On the positive side, raising a baby has been a lot more fun than I expected. I was expecting to find it pretty boring until little Z. could talk, but actually she's been fun from almost the beginning.

Probably the least expected and most welcome part has been the unalloyed joy that the baby is capable of experiencing. Pick her up after an absence of > 5 min? 100% HAPPY! Successfully stack blue block on red block? 100% HAPPY! I'm just not capable experiencing emotion like this myself. Every bit of good news I get is always tempered by worry---crap I need to get done, my job, global warming, the Bush administration---even if you only get it to experience it vicariously, the undiluted happiness of a baby is wonderful.

Obligatory baby pix:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elizabethleewilmer/tags/zenobia/

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Yeah, Leper has a good point--I have to admit that was one really neat thing about hanging out with Max was that he was amused and made happy by some little things.

Z. is absolutely--if not frighteningly--adorable. It's looking like a visit in the fall is not going to happen, but here's hoping I'll make it out to Ohio soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home